NPRNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 1/6/2021 9:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Marketing/Publicity/PR Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Director Programming jobs in New York-NY
Search all Director Programming postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Director Programming?
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Join us as we develop the future of NPR. We’re hiring a content creator who’s ready to be on the front line of piloting and incubating programming for the next generation of NPR audiences. You will manage the internal and external pitch process and drive proactive content development to reach audiences where they are. You’ll be part of a highly creative and collaborative leadership team that is plotting a course to reach young and diverse audiences with essential stories and experiences.
You will have an opportunity to make real impact across a range of initiatives, while working closely with senior leadership at NPR and a highly motivated and experienced group of programming executives across the country.
NPR reaches an estimated 60M people each week across multiple platforms, including radio, video, podcast, web, and more. We’re an industry leader in podcast production with over 150M global monthly downloads. Our videos, anchored by our flagship Tiny Desk Concert series, receive 45M global monthly views. The NPR Programming division has dramatically expanded NPR's on demand audience and journalism footprint with the launch of more than 15 podcasts and radio shows in the last 5 years in collaboration with NPR News. Currently, NPR produces eight of the top 20 podcasts in America.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Programming and is ideally based in New York or Los Angeles.
• Lead the process of evaluating pitches and developing programs to meet NPR’s primary goal of growing younger and more diverse audiences
• Guide pilot production and development through post-production; including script, creative, casting, staffing, and production supervision
• Shepherd new ideas through the business process of development, working closely with programming leadership as well as sales, marketing, and other key departments around the organization
• Tap into experts from around NPR to evaluate ideas and plan for growth
• Assist programming leadership with NPR’s diverse audience growth strategy
• Foster an internal “culture of creativity,” tapping into talent both inside and beyond public media
• Maintain relationships with current and potential contributors to NPR
• Help to run the annual Story Lab Workshop, an annual training workshop and collaboration with member stations and independent producers
• Supervise at least 2 direct reports, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least 4 years of experience in program development and production, with an emphasis on rich storytelling.
• At least (2) two years’ experience managing people.
• Minimum of 1-3 years’ journalism-related research, with the ability to collect, organize and disseminate information.
• Ability to work with a range of teams and talent, supporting their vision and driving success.
• Ability to have effective communication and planning detailed logistics.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
• Proven ability to consistently work as part of a team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Familiarity with NPR Podcasts & Programming
• Proven ability to develop successful new programs
• Quality Decision Making
• Strategic Thinking
• Able to deal with Ambiguity
• Learning Agility
• Managing Complexity
• Managing Stakeholder relationships
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.