Director, Product Design
Full Time Job
As Director, Product Design in Digital Media, you lead product design for NPR, advancing excellence in visual and user experience design across digital platforms. You help cultivate an environment of collaboration, creativity and professional development for the product design unit. You represent and advocate for the product design unit and its work with a diverse set of stakeholders across the organization. You provide creative direction and create spaces for team feedback on all product design initiatives, including products for web, mobile, voice, and emergent platforms. Your job is to help inform product vision and foster positive digital experiences for millions of NPR consumers.
Why Work at NPR Matters
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
• Set the vision for all of NPR’s product design practices in support of its digital portfolio.
• Manage the product design unit, setting priorities, overseeing process, and ensuring project goals are achieved.
• Assist with supervision, mentoring, and coaching for the Digital Media design team
• Oversee simultaneous projects from inception to completion, reviewing project roadmaps, designs, and deliverables.
• Maintain ongoing communication with Vice President of Design, Manager of Design Research & Strategy, Manager of Design Operations, and other Digital Media division leaders to ensure fluid communication across projects and teams.
• Recruit and hire new team members as needed to grow team capacity and competency
• Foster a culture of innovation and collaboration.
• Cultivate a strong design culture within the greater organization and the member station network.
• Embrace and implement a commitment to building a culture rooted in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion within the Digital Media team and across the entire NPR organization.
• Champion and share product design best practices both internally and externally.
• Be a practitioner on the entire lifecycle of specific products, as needed: research, prototyping, design, and collaboration on implementation and iteration.
• Create elegant and useful design systems that define the NPR digital experience across platforms.
• Distill complex interactions into clear, understandable design solutions and communicate them to stakeholders.
• Keep up-to-date with user interface patterns, standards and accessibility, and share best practices with designers and product teams.
• Facilitate design thinking and co-creation sessions across the organization.
• Identify cross-system dependencies and potential conflicts.
• Help tell the story of our product user experiences through storyboarding, user journeys, and other storytelling methods.
• At least 3-4 years leading a digital design team.
• At least 6-8 years of digital design experience or equivalent experience.
• Empathetic leader. Outstanding leadership and managerial skills including talent development, coaching, mentoring, objective setting and team motivation.
• Expertise working with interface design tools like Sketch and Figma.
• Experience working in an agile project methodology.
• Excellent leadership, project management, and people management skills.
• Proven ability to mentor and develop skills in junior designers.
• Ability to tell compelling stories about your work and present it confidently to your team, stakeholders, and executives.
• Work with design leadership to set design vision for NPR.
• Lead the exploration of new initiatives with NPR's leadership and executive teams to ensure a coherent user experience across platforms.
Bonus Points for
• Proven track record of designing and helping to ship successful products and services.
• Digital prototyping and coding experience.
• Experience designing across multiple devices and contexts (desktop, mobile, accessories).
• Curiosity for emerging technologies and processes, and willingness to contribute relevant findings back to the NPR team.
• Activity in the design field — participating in conferences, publishing articles, and contributing to new products and services.
• Above-average understanding of storytelling and a passion for NPR’s mission.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.