Director, Content Production Technology
Full Time Job
The Director of Content Production Technology fills a critical leadership role within the Technology division at NPR. This position will manage and mentor a small team of high-level, experienced technologists and the numerous projects of which they are a part. The team’s primary focus is to build, administrate, and support NPR’s content production tools that include digital audio workstations, broadcast playout and automation systems, metadata and media asset management tools, and a suite of other niche applications to prepare and present broadcast and on-demand content. They will be responsible for short-term, tactical thinking for daily operations as well as a longer-term strategic vision. They will work as part of a management team to achieve corporate goals while enriching the organization with tangible improvements, new ideas, and fresh perspectives.
• Manage the members of the Content Production Technology Team, establish team goals and objectives, and marshal available resources to achieve those outcomes.
• Manage several technology projects focused on content production, publication, and presentation.
• Validate, test, and troubleshoot our content production tools’ overall performance and coordinate with key internal stakeholders and outside vendors to ensure peak performance.
• Prepare and manage departmental and project budgets.
• Manage business relationships and contracts with key vendors.
• Drive the strategic direction of content production tools at NPR and implement change as needed to support the organization.
• Partner and regularly synchronize with the audio engineering, IT, and software development teams to establish requirements that deliver the best possible experience for content creators, broadcasters, technologists, and administrators.
• Lead clear emergency communications to content creators and other stakeholders if/when outages occur across a 24x7x365 newsroom.
• Participate in the Technology division’s change management process.
• Collaborate with NPR’s editorial, operational, and project management teams to ensure that new technologies are properly evaluated, thoroughly tested, and smoothly deployed.
• Create presentations and reports for both technical and executive audiences.
• Leadership – demonstrated success managing and motivating technologists, building cohesive high performing teams, engaging stakeholders with diplomacy and generating buy-in, and maintaining a portfolio of complex projects.
• Project management experience- 5 years managing technical projects, including budget and resource management, in a meticulous and organized manner.
• Audio engineering & IT expertise – proven subject matter expertise in enterprise-level digital audio platforms and workflows.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills– extreme comfort with data-driven decision making, and performing financial and operational analysis.
• Implementation proficiency– ability to translate strategic differentiators into innovative and detailed project proposals, presentations, and plans.
• Excellent communication skills- engage and translate between technical and non-technical teams to gain expert level understanding of workflow and to achieve strategic and operational alignment.
• Technical aptitude- ability to understand and discuss architectural concepts, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members.
• Forensics – ability to review system logs and media files, collect real and anecdotal data, and consider dozens of variables when attempting to solve highly complex technical problems.
• Agile awareness– Familiarity and comfort with remote and agile-enabled teams.
Bonus points for ...
• Experience working in a broadcast, network, or media production facility.
• Familiarity with metadata management.
• Familiarity with network and cloud storage architectures.
• Familiarity with Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) technologies.
• Familiarity with IP networking.
• Familiarity with AoIP protocols and systems.
• Experience with DAVID Systems, AVID, Adobe, and Lawo technologies.
• Experience supporting clients in a true deadline driven environment.
• Project management certification.
• Fluent with the challenges facing journalism organizations and/or the public media ecosystem.
• Passion and appreciation for NPR’s content and mission.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.