Director, Consumer Products & Distribution
Full Time Job
Oversee all aspects of the development, management, and growth of NPR consumer products development, licensing distribution and sales. Supervises the team managing consumer product development, the NPR Commons and the NPR shop.
• Ensure the consistent growth of revenue and profitability in the consumer products group.
• Drive revenue streams through the development, management, and growth of NPR consumer products. Orientation toward significantly scaling revenue and profitability.
• Manage NPR Wine Club and other licensing relationships
• Establishes a strong infrastructure (ecommerce, POS system, sourcing relationships) that provides scalability, efficiency and visibility and reporting across platforms
• Develop and manage budget including sales projections, monthly actuals against budget; meet or exceed monthly sales and profitability objectives.
• Optimize product development, distribution and marketing strategies to reach new audiences and drive incremental sales.
• Lead strategic planning and implementation of new activities related to consumer products.
• Maximize brand exposure and generate revenue through new product development and licensing and distribution.
• Increase online distribution across new sites such as Amazon, Google, and other desirable shopping portals
• Explore niche online sites that align with NPR brand image and product portfolio
• Explore convenient and profitable ways easier and streamlined way to purchase products
• Develop sustainable and profitable wholesale strategies to bring more NPR merchandise into the broader marketplace
• Police and protect NPR mark from being infringed upon.
• Create dashboards for daily/weekly visibility across stakeholder groups.
• Develop and maintain merchandising strategies for the NPR Shop
• Source more enticing products and extend the selection of merchandise in the Shop, both online and in the Commons.
• Create on-demand offering to reduce inventory holding
• Create back-up and redundancies to meet short-term and high-volume orders from multiple suppliers
• Evaluate, and if warranted, deploy and manage affiliate sales program
• Meet needs of NPR station and corporate internal departments for consumer products
• Create efficient and effective turnkey process for stations and divisions to order merchandise
• Assist, as required, in the efforts manage customized options as warranted
• Oversee all projects relating to development/improvement of e-commerce business through new functionalities, best practices. Includes both short and long-range planning, designing and defining specifications for site development, promotions, UI improvement, etc.
• Provide oversight and management of third-party e-commerce, call center and fulfillment valuate fulfillment options.
• Experience leading and participating in events. Includes opportunity identification, planning and management and marketing and promotion. Ability to tie and improve product merchandising to venues.
• 10 years e-commerce, online distribution and licensing required. 5-7 years supervisory experience necessary.
• Proven track record in implementing successful strategies in scaling retail and/or e-commerce businesses.
• Familiarity with Shopify, AWS, Google Shopping and other online distribution options.
• P&L management experience, with demonstrated results in scaling sales and profitability
• Previous experience in a marketing or merchandising leadership positions for a consumer-oriented or retail company
• Strong analytical skills and familiarity with GA and Adwords. Fluency with Excel, KPIs and reporting.
• Ability to be nimble and flexible and work in entrepreneurial environment.
• Strong project management, organization and communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience with online and email marketing, testing and optimization.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams and across functions and levels.
• Event management and speaking engagement (script and presentation development) a plus.
• NPR familiarity and super fan a plus.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.