Director, Business Development - Distribution
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
The Director, Business Development manages all of Distribution’s business development and fiscal matters. Develops policies and procedures for business operations and gives overall guidance to the budget, contracting, purchasing, accounting, and other related aspects of the division's business activities. The Director is also accountable for building, managing and enhancing customer relationships to meet Distribution’s revenue goals. Partners with the Distribution leadership team to identify new areas of revenue opportunity, potential cost reduction, service improvement, or policy change and helps set priorities and recommends actions to develop new business and improve customer service in line with strategic goals. Additionally, directs all marketing and communication efforts on behalf of the Division for both internal and external consumption.
• Leads the planning and the implementation of all of Distribution’s business activities, policies, procedures and operations.
• Develops and implements strategic sales plans and forecasts to achieve revenue targets.
• Develops new products that match the strengths of the Distribution Division with the needs of its customers.
• Builds and recommends product positioning, packaging, and pricing strategy to produce the highest possible long-term market share.
• Partners with the Vice President and other members of the Leadership Team to establish the direction and priorities of the division, including identifying new business opportunities for Distribution.
• Creates forecasts, plans, and budgets for short and long range business support requirements.
• Leads and/or oversees the contract negotiations with customers of Distribution products and services.
• Works with cross divisional teams to including business and technology architects to relay compiled information about customer needs and future requests / requirements of the Distribution system.
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
• Establishes the metrics for success associated with ongoing business operations and monitors/works to improve and optimize operational performance in billing, contracts, and all related aspects of the division's business activities.
• Provides internal business systems and processes needed to support the sale and fulfillment of services to public radio and commercial customers, including proposal development, contract preparations and negotiation, as well as equipment inventory control.
• Forecasts and tracks industry and marketing/sales trends.
• Advises on marketing activities, sales tactics and strategies to promote products and services.
• Advises on communication activities in support of overall division goals both for internal and external customers.
• Develops and implements appropriate financial controls and reporting systems.
• Participates in the creation of plans to establish new and/or improve existing public radio accounts.
• Provides leadership, direction, and expertise to Business Development unit staff in planning, procurement, resource management, communications, and coaching/training in connection with division goals.
• Supervise at least five (5) direct reports in a seven person organization, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree plus ten years work experience in business development, account management and finance or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience related to business administration I account management and finances.
This is a hybrid permitted role. The employee will be required to be onsite at our Washington, DC office at least 10 days a year. The employee must also reside in an NPR supported location based on the number of onsite days they choose.
• Demonstrated experience in establishing/maintaining new business processes and client relationships.
• Knowledge of cost and pricing analysis, modeling, implementing financial controls and developing proper accounting procedures.
• Experience in budgeting and budget administration.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization.
• Proven ability to drive the sales process from plan to close.
• Proven ability to articulate the distinct aspects of products and services, as well as position them against competitors.
• Demonstrated understanding of all aspects of the relationship between Distribution and its customers.
• Excellent organizational skills - ability to juggle multiple work streams and plan I prioritize work.
• Broad knowledge of media issues and technology trends. Radio or public broadcasting experience a plus.
• Ability to identify goals, set priorities, and meet objectives with a minimum of supervision is required.
• Experience in developing, executing, and administering outsourced services and SLAs.
• Station experience and sensitivity to the network-affiliate relationship
• Public radio experience.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law and any other applicable law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.