Digital Editor, National Desk
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
NPR is seeking an experienced digital editor to develop sharply focused, high-impact stories for our digital audiences. The ideal candidate will have 8 years of news editing experience with most of that in a digital-first environment. We’re looking for an editor who understands both storytelling and social media. Knowledge and experience with SEO best practices is a must. NPR is a diverse newsroom filled with talented people and big ideas, and this editor will play a crucial role in helping to shape those ideas and deliver them in ways that exceed the high expectations of our digital audience. We want an editor who is imaginative, skilled and fast.
• Plans and edits online daily news and features stories, working directly with National Desk reporters, correspondents, editors and producers on digital stories.
• Partners with Engagement/Social team to optimize story presentations for digital audiences; paying particular attention to timing, social promotion and display type.
• Oversees coordination of assignments with other digital editors to assure continuity.
• Initiates story conversations with National Desk staff and others desks, shows or digital platforms, proposing story ideas that will meet the needs of our digital audiences.
• As requested, handles news shifts: working on deadline and under pressure, writes excellent headlines, teasers and other display copy for all assigned stories.
• Collaborates with others to create multimedia elements: videos, audios, photo galleries, interactive elements.
• Responsible for determining needs for rights clearances and permissions for acquired material.
• Occasionally commissions commentaries from freelancers and/or commentary writers and edits them on deadline.
• Oversees assigned material to outside talent with supervisors support to manage contract negotiations and filings.
• Responsible for editing radio pieces, as needed.
• Provides representation of the National Desk in news meetings when needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in any related discipline; Journalism, English, Political Science preferred or previous intensive writing discipline and/or equivalent work experience
• A minimum 8 years experience in daily news (print or digital).
• At least 3 years of experience in editorial decision-making on deadline demonstrating solid independent news judgment.
• Expertise in writing, with excellence in news writing, copy-editing and headline writing for digital publishing.
• Strong knowledge of search-engine optimization and headline-writing for the search audience.
• Experience working with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own.
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
• Strong oral and written, communication and presentation skills.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Ability and willingness to work off-hours shifts, including very early mornings, nights, weekends and/or holidays.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Incumbent must be able to edit breaking stories for immediate posting.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Familiarity with NPR member stations and public media system.
• Expertise in writing, copy-editing, headline writing and audio production.
• Experience writing and editing under breaking news conditions.
• Experience and skill with digital publishing software.
• Experience producing on digital audio workstations.
• Prior HTML skills.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.