Digital Content Editor, Weekend
This was removed by the employer on 6/13/2020 9:01:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Digital Content Editor, Weekend jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Digital Content Editor, Weekend postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Digital Content Editor, Weekend? OVERVIEW
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR is seeking an experienced multi-platform editor to help shape and execute our weekend digital coverage plans. This editor will work with the Digital News team, NPR managers and others across the newsroom to help determine coverage priorities, assign, and edit stories. The ideal candidate is a passionate storyteller who will liaison with our radio shows to deliver compelling digital stories related to host trips, series and newsmaker interviews. We are looking for a digital journalist who is adept at editing breaking news, timely features and the occasional long-read. They will also occasionally report and write stories. This position is part of a core group tasked with understanding, engaging and growing NPR’s digital audiences. The editor will curate the best of NPR’s content offerings for promotion on npr.org, Facebook, Twitter and the breaking news alert system – selecting stories, audio, photos and other visual elements for optimal presentation and engagement. This position requires a 40-hour week that includes Saturdays and Sundays and may span early mornings, evenings, overnights and/or some holidays.
• Serves as an editor for weekend digital coverage. Helps plan, assign and edit daily digital content in coordination with other Digital News staff, NPR managers, desks, radio shows and podcasts.
• Helps shape digital plans for projects and series.
• Edits stories from NPR staff, member stations and freelancers that will be featured on digital platforms.
• Working on deadline and under pressure, writes headlines, teasers and other display copy for incoming stories.
• Analyzes metrics to understand and better serve the digital audience.
• Works with the Visuals and Data Visualization teams to help create and edit compelling digital storytelling.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least eight years of experience in daily journalism (digital or print).
• At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making.
• Ability and willingness to work Saturdays and Sundays, as well as early mornings, evenings, overnights and/or holidays.
• Demonstrated excellence in news writing, editing, copy editing and headline writing.
• Demonstrated ability to help coordinate daily news coverage under deadline pressure.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline. Incumbent must be able to write and/or edit breaking stories for immediate posting.
• Experience with social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
• Familiarity with specialty topics such as national, international, science or business news.
• Solid, independent news judgment.
• Strong knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular.
• Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Experience with audio production and editing.
• Familiarity with Chartbeat and Google Analytics.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.