Deputy National Editor - NPR West
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
The Deputy National Editor-West is based out of our Culver City, CA office and has editorial responsibility for coverage of Western states and partnership for leading coverage of National trends and breaking news. She/he supervises assignments and provides editorial guidance to NPR reporters, editors, producers and freelancers. This includes preparation of on-air material as well as content for digital and social platforms. This editor oversees the editorial integrity and quality of content, monitoring and evaluating staff performance; recommending new hires and providing editorial and administrative support to the Supervising Senior National Editor.
The Deputy National Editor-West has responsibility, with the Supervising Senior National Editor and Deputy National Editor-East, for the overall conception and vision of NPR’s coverage of the United States on all platforms. Under the direction of the National Editor, and in collaboration with other key news leaders, s/he leads decision-making on key coverage, grappling with the most important issues in the nation.
The Deputy National Editor-West is charged with building and maintaining relationships with NPR member stations to continue efforts to meld member stations and NPR collaboration to create one true network. The editor is also responsible for coordinating with journalists from other NPR desks and shows working within NPR West.
• Manages editorial planning and coordination of coverage by providing editorial guidance to staff, stations, freelance reporters and production staff.
• Works with internal staff and stakeholders to determine proper approach to stories, subjects to be discussed and treated, and individuals to be interviewed as well as planning editorial projects and groups of stories thematically.
• Builds and maintains relationships with NPR member stations to increase NPR’s focus on continuous collaboration.
• Supervises preparation of air and online material and is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of that material
• Monitors programming and provide critiques
• Prepares performance reviews of staff members under his or her supervision
• Makes hiring recommendations for staff under his or her supervision, in consultation with the Supervising Senior National Editor and others as designated
• Recommends salary levels of staff under his or her supervision, in consultation with the Supervising Senior National Editor
• Conducts outreach, answers correspondence, represents the unit in public forums, organizes internships, maintains station relations, and works with the promotion and public information departments
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least 10 years’ experience as a news reporter or editor, including demonstrated experience covering national news, including investigative stories, feature reports
• A minimum of 5 years’ management experience, with proven successes in managing a diverse team of employees
• Strong familiarity with National affairs, including, but not limited to: Western issues, urban affairs, national security and lifestyle topics
• Strong knowledge of digital and social
• Interest in regional politics and issues
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
• Previous broadcast news experience
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.