Deputy Editor - International Desk
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR seeks a dynamic Deputy International Editor to help set the editorial direction of international news coverage and assist in oversight of the content, integrity and quality of coverage from three additional regional editors and 22 correspondents covering 17 overseas bureaus and Washington D.C. This position is also key to informing and executing the overall strategy for international news in conjunction with our News Desk, Digital News and Programming teams.
You’ll report to the Chief International Editor and be expected to help provide vision and leadership to the entire team while also having specific responsibility for a designated region. This person will be key in helping to strengthen NPR’s multi-platform newsroom, as well as support field safety and security for staff based outside the US or sent on medium- and high-risk assignments overseas.
The Deputy International Editor works collaboratively with editors, reporters and producers throughout the newsroom to pursue reporting threads. This role is an important ambassador for the desk, promoting the content produced by the international staff to NPR’s news platforms.
The Deputy International Editor supervises assignments and provides editorial guidance to Newsroom staff and freelance reporters; supervises preparation of broadcast and digital material and is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of news content produced by the desk; monitors and evaluates staff performance; and provides administrative support to the Chief International Editor as needed and oversees the International Desk in the absence of the Chief
• Tracks ongoing flow of news, maintains contacts with news sources, keeps current with topics of interest to the desk and maintains files of future events and issues.
• Maintains internal contacts and assists content producers in achieving consistent, accurate and balanced coverage.
• When necessary, acts as lead to coordinate coverage on breaking news events as well as special projects.
• Supervises assignments and provides editorial guidance to newsroom as needed, including for staff on all NPR news platforms as well as freelance reporters
• Works with shows, podcasts and digital platforms to determine proper approach to stories, subjects to be discussed and treated, individuals to be interviewed.
• Supervises preparation of content for digital and broadcast platforms and is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of that material.
• Listens to prepared stories, suggests changes that make pieces concise, coherent, comprehensive and interesting, copy edits stories and writes material as needed. Determines when a story is ready for air.
• Prepares performance reviews and makes hiring recommendations of staff members under your supervision.
• Runs International Desk operations in the absence of the Chief International Editor.
• Acts as liaison to Newsdesk, shows, digital platforms, desks and programming as assigned by Chief International Editor.
• Coordinates staff schedules, submits time sheets, monitors overtime and maintains other personnel records as needed.
• Directly supervises other editors, as assigned by the Chief International Editor.
• As assigned, works with Chief International Editor and Development staff on funding proposals and presentations to potential underwriters.
• Maintains relations with NPR's administrative departments such as finance, human resources, development and the general counsel's office.
• Conducts outreach, answers correspondence, represents the unit in public forums, oversees fellowships, and works with the promotion and public information departments.
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred. (Ex: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience) Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent required.
• At least 10 years’ experience as a news reporter or editor, including work on:
Breaking news, analysis and feature reports, including the development of topics and the organization and presentation of lengthy articles or programs.
International reporting experience preferable.
• At least four years of experience editing international news.
• Demonstrable knowledge of international affairs and international news coverage and news planning.
• Considerable knowledge of the history and politics of a major world region: Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, or the Middle East.
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and disseminate information and to coordinate daily news coverage.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public media system.
• Demonstrated understanding of sound organizational development, management and supervisory principles.
• Daily news experience.
• Managerial experience.
• Experience living and working abroad.
• Thorough knowledge of broadcast writing and audio production.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.