Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR seeks an attorney with 3 to 8 years of transactional experience (with an emphasis on agreements related to technology and digital media) to support internal clients focused on digital distribution, operations, sponsorship, marketing, business development, data analysis, audience measurement, and creation of news and programming content.
The lawyer who joins our team will help NPR embrace business opportunities while managing risk and ensuring compliance with nonprofit corporate and tax laws. We are looking for a versatile lawyer with superb oral and written communications skills, a commitment to client service, solid business judgment, and intellectual curiosity. An ability to manage multiple projects, set and adjust priorities, work under pressure, and maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so are musts.
• Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts, including complex agreements that often don’t have precedent. Preference given to candidates who have experience with some or all of the following types of agreements: inbound and outbound technology licensing agreements, music licensing agreements, SaaS and other cloud services agreements, program acquisition and distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements, media-buy agreements, facilities and live event-related agreements, agreements governing the distribution of content via satellite or over digital platforms, agreements with research and data analytics service providers, and consulting and services agreements;
• Preparing board meeting agendas and minutes, and other materials related to corporate governance
Depending on the experience of the successful candidate, responsibilities also may include:
• Advising legal and business colleagues on trademark law and portfolio management, copyright law, rights clearance and fair use, traditional and digital media law, product development, web accessibility, communications law, privacy and data security law, nonprofit tax law, corporate governance, charitable fundraising, marketing and agency representation, sponsorship sales, sweepstakes and promotions law, and IT and telecom services;
• Assisting with regulatory compliance and advocacy efforts relating to legislative and regulatory developments, including analyzing proposed legislation and regulations, preparing internal memoranda, and drafting agency comments
• At least 3 years of relevant experience
• Bar membership in good standing in the District of Columbia, or eligibility to waive into the DC Bar
• Experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts is required
• Experience advising internal product teams on business and legal issues at early stages of product development is preferred
• Familiarity with copyright law is highly desirable
• Experience representing tax-exempt organizations is a plus
To be considered for the position, you must provide a resume and a cover letter that explains how your professional experience relates to the qualifications and anticipated responsibilities for the position. We will consider applications on a rolling basis beginning on February 17, 2020. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.