Correspondent, International Desk,
Full Time Job
NPR is seeking a dynamic reporter for our Shanghai Bureau location. In this role as the primary correspondent for Asia, this role will develop ideas/proposals for reports and programs about China, Hong Kong, and Asia. You’ll gather information and reporting for news programs, prepare present and transmit reports and program segments from abroad. This will role will have the ability to take true ownership of regional coverage from China, report breaking news and develop stories illustrating trends and significant political, economic, social, and cultural issues from China.
• Conceives, proposes, plans, and researches ideas for stories and program segments for all NPR news platforms: news programs, digital, and podcasts.
• Contributes original reporting and writing online, with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor reporting and news to online audiences.
• Develops news sources and keeps associated files.
• Participates in departmental planning coverage
• Communicates regularly with international desk editors about news developments and story ideas.
• Gather information and material for reports and programs.
• Covers stories as assigned by international desk editors. Will involve frequent travel in China and the broader region, at times, under difficult conditions.
• Gathers material on tape and otherwise, through interviews, press conferences, direct coverage of events. Advises editors of technical support required when and where necessary.
• Prepare and present reports and program segments.
• In consultation with editors, organizes, edits, and produces reports and programs segments, including introductory and continuity material.
• Provides accurate information to editors for spotting reports in programs.
• Fulfills administrative obligations arising from assignments, such as filing prompt and accurate expense records and program information/summaries; maintaining contact with editors and appropriate producers; keeping editors and appropriate producers informed about assignments.
• Prepares and presents special reports, series, documentaries, and program segments examining important subjects in depth.
• Takes responsibility for developing a comprehensive area beat in China and Asia, as assigned.
• Under the supervision of a producer or assigned editor, anchors or assists in presenting live coverage of summits, major news conferences, and other broadcasting or news events.
• Does original, investigative reporting, including the generation of ideas, and concepts and the development of plans for such reporting.
• Must make regular and frequent trips through the region, as news dictates, to other nations and beyond that produce a variety of major stories, features, and program segments for various NPR programs.
• Develops and makes use of extensive, proven broadcast production skills in the preparation of program materials and segments.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Correspondent: Minimum of 6 years broadcast experience, including international reporting and radio production. Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of broadcast journalism – reporting, voicing, editing, producing full radio pieces, use of microphones, recorders, computers and telecommunication transmissions via phone ISDN lines, satellite phones and/or Internet. Must have experience in execution of sophisticated broadcast and online journalism, such as long-form features and documentaries. Proven understanding of complex foreign policy issues, especially those involving China and Asia. In-depth knowledge of regional history, politics, and economics.
• Experience working overseas, especially in China, strongly preferred. Experience in living and/or working in difficult international situations is highly valuable.
• Fluency in Mandarin is strongly preferred.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.