Copy Editor - Digital News
Full Time Job
As a member of NPR’s Digital Content team, the Copy Editor will handle stories and visuals that appear across NPR platforms, including npr.org, Facebook, @NPR on Twitter and our breaking news alert system. This role will edit stories, headlines, teasers and other display copy for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, tone and SEO best practices. This copy editor will be a leading voice in ensuring accuracy, consistency, clarity and quality across NPR platforms. The role will also work with NPR’s Standards and Practices editor and other newsroom personnel to identify and correct errors in accordance with NPR’s corrections policy. The Digital Content copy editor coordinates with engagement editors, desk editors, newsroom leaders and others during breaking news coverage, special programming and live events to establish editing priorities. The incumbent works a 40-hour week that includes Sundays. Schedules may include early morning or evening hours and some holidays.
• Copy edits NPR’s home page, social channels, blog posts and other digital stories and graphics.
• Working on deadline and under pressure, writes and edits headlines, teasers, captions and other display copy.
• Copy edits and proofreads stories, display copy and other text for spelling, grammar, factual accuracy, style, punctuation, fairness, balance and tone.
• Works with appropriate staff to edit multimedia elements, including photo galleries, charts, graphs and interactive elements.
• Copy edits original stories from NPR staff and freelancers.
• Assists with editorial production of Web pages as necessary.
• Ability and willingness to work Sundays.
• Other duties as assigned.
• EDUCATION Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years of experience as a copy editor.
• At least one year of experience in editorial decision-making.
• Demonstrated skills in copy editing and headline writing.
• Thorough knowledge of Associated Press style.
• A broad range of general news knowledge.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including nights and weekends.
• Ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Experience in editing under breaking news conditions
• Experience copy editing commentary
• Daily news experience
• Experience in Digital Media
• Knowledge of audio production
• Experience editing on digital audio workstations
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.