Comedy Writer, Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me
Full Time Job
Wait Wait...Don’t Tell Me is looking for a funny person to help us make jokes about the week’s news. Our ideal candidate loves knowing what’s going on in the world; you digest huge amounts of news everyday. We’re looking for experienced comedy writer who’ve spent time in a writer’s room. Our ideal candidate is fun to have around a table, and can brainstorm material with a small team.
Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! is NPR's weekly hour-long quiz program. Each week on the radio you can test your knowledge against some of the best and brightest in the news and entertainment world while figuring out what's real news and what's made up. On the Web, you can play along too.
• Write comedy material for Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me
• Read and research the news of the week
• Pitch stories and jokes at daily editorial meetings
• Produce comedy bits and extra material for Wait Wait podcast feed
• Work with show host and executive producer to edit weekly show scripts
• Travel up to 25% for behind the scenes production support at live shows
• Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
• Minimum of three years of comedy writing experience
• Worked as part of a writer’s room
• Strong communication skills
• Be familiar with the tone and style of Wait Wait
• Ability to both work independently and work well with others
• Experience writing on deadline on a daily basis
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.