Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We seek leaders who have shown a demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is an amazing opportunity for a motivated and impact-driven leader to join a dynamic, mission-driven public media organization and serve as General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer. This role leads a team of experienced lawyers, paralegals and other professionals to help NPR navigate a complex media landscape, solve problems, and fulfill our mission to create a more informed public.
• Represent NPR as our chief legal officer;
• Develop and lead corporate legal strategy consistent with NPR’s mission and culture;
• Serve as a key member of the CEO’s executive team;
• Lead a sophisticated in-house legal team of approximately  attorneys, paralegals and other professionals
• Advise on all legal needs of NPR, including a variety of tax, governance, media law, intellectual property, litigation, labor, employment, and other regulatory and legal matters;
• Advise senior management on NPR’s compliance with all laws, regulations, and rules applicable to NPR, identifying issues, options, risks and creative solutions;
• Oversee significant business transactions and contract negotiations;
• Advise on material legal and business risks, including risks to NPR’s reputation and legal and financial condition, including as a tax-exempt organization;
• Develop operational efficiencies in providing effective legal support to NPR’s programs, operations, and activities;
• Oversee the drafting, preparation and approval of all materials related to the formal functioning of the NPR Board of Directors including resolutions, reports and minutes;
• Serve as chief ethics officer of the organization;
• Work closely with other departments and across the executive team, providing practical, thoughtful, and timely legal advice.
EDUCATION: Degree from an accredited law school and membership in the District of Columbia or the Bar of the highest court of a state and eligible to be admitted to the D.C. Bar upon motion.
Minimum of 15 years of legal experience, ideally with senior in-house counsel experience in a complex media organization advising on a variety of legal issues, transactions and contracts.
• Demonstrated ability to bring a sophisticated business perspective to complex media industry issues, with a cross-functional ethos and roll-up-the-sleeves attitude.
• Highest level of integrity and commitment to our public service mission.
• Decisive practitioner who is adept at making decisions, exercising business judgment, advising on risk, and explaining complex legal issues in a straightforward manner.
• Strong leader and persuasive communicator with ability to motivate and inspire a team.
• Successful track record of leading and managing a diverse group of accomplished attorneys and other legal professionals.
• Significant executive experience, stature, and overall credibility as a senior lawyer and trusted business advisor; able to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly and convincingly.
• Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.