Full Time Job
The Budget Manager oversees all Financial Planning & Analysis activities for approximately five NPR divisions (e.g. Human Resources, Marketing, Consumer Products, etc.). This individual provides management and analysis of the divisions’ annual budgets, monthly forecasts, monthly close, as well as special projects as assigned. The Budget Manager serves as a liaison between Finance and the division(s) and complies with established and published accounting guidelines, company policies and internal control procedures.
• Develops and manages the annual operating and CapEx budgets for up to five Divisions with an operating budget of ~$40 million comprised of ~38 cost centers and a ~$400K capital budget
• Oversees Division’s conformity to budget and advises the Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis, Senior Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, Chief Finance Officer, and Senior Leadership of variances from plan, monthly and quarterly
• Collaborates with all levels of organizational management, including executive leadership and senior directors to develop financial plans to support division and company goals and strategic initiatives
• Provides analysis and trending, leads budgeting/forecasting processes for the divisions, and advises management on financial matters and recommends financial solutions
• Develops and prepares financial models and reports, business narratives and presentations as required. Serves as liaison between Divisions and Finance/Budget
• Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with clients to support accurate reporting and to enhance services and reporting provided to clients
• Identifies and communicates risks and opportunities to the Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis, Senior Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, Chief Finance Officer, and Senior Leadership
Special Projects & Analysis
• Performs scenario analysis for new projects and proposed investments
• Conduct ad-hoc analysis as requested
• Identifies efficiencies and opportunities to improve financial processes and reporting
• Performs other assignments as assigned by the Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
• Analyzes expenses of various types for reasonableness and classification including prepaid expenses, accruals, maintenance contracts, one-time expenses, and travel
• Analyzes budget, forecast and year-over-year variances on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis and works with the Accounting department to ensure completeness and accuracy of actuals
• Advises the Finance team and Division Leaders on ways to promote efficiencies, and keeps managers apprised of financial performance on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
• Provides guidance for divisions on check request submissions, procurement, and creating and managing reference codes. Assists in month-end closing process through preparation and submission of journal entries, reconciliation of liability accounts, and open Purchase Order validation
• Serves as liaison between Accounting and divisions to communicate adherence to procedures and policy changes
• Works in conjunction with Department Leaders to understand business priorities and ensure alignment of budget and forecasts with strategic priorities
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in business or related field, MBA preferred
• Five to seven years of financial/budget management including a solid understanding of the principles and practices of accounting, auditing, and financial reporting
• Expertise in the use of spreadsheet software and other computer skills
• Excellent organizational and planning skills with strong attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
• Possess good problem-solving skills and be able to craft and analyze options and make specific recommendations that enhance the company’s overall objectives and goals
• Demonstrated follow-through ability with an aptitude for forward thinking
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.