Av & Multimedia Engineer
Full Time Job
The AV & Multimedia Engineer provides daily technology support to ensure all aspects of NPR’s meetings and events run flawlessly. This position serves as a hands-on technical resource for high-profile corporate and public events, conferences, webinars, and daily onsite and virtual meetings. The Multimedia Specialist requires expertise in a variety of technologies including A/V, IT, sound reinforcement, and telephone / video / web conferencing. The ability to properly plan and execute complex events, communicate effectively, anticipate technical problems before they arise, and troubleshoot calmly and pleasantly are key components of this role.
Our ideal candidate is a proactive, courteous, and customer-service focused technology expert who believes in the mission of NPR. They will work closely with our IT Network, IT Service Desk, and Audio Engineering teams and interact daily with colleagues from across the organization. This position will have the opportunity to regularly collaborate and train with technologists within IT and Audio Engineering.
All applications must include and resume and cover letter to be considered.
• Operate and troubleshoot AV equipment, phones, and computers in the executive board room, conference rooms, training rooms, and meeting spaces throughout NPR. Routinely test all equipment and workflows to ensure a positive, consistent, and high-quality experience for all users.
• Maintain a professional and positive demeanor at all times.
• Promptly respond to requests from clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders. Escalate issues when needed and follow up as required.
• Partner with teams across NPR on corporate meetings and events (such as meetings of the Board of Directors, all-staff meetings, and more) from initial planning and requirements gathering phases through to execution.
• Evaluate and recommend new technologies to improve meeting experience and collaborative audio workflows between remote journalists.
• Ensure that audio/visual conferencing and peripheral equipment is compatible and operational with all remote locations and identify (and resolve when possible) factors that could negatively impact the productivity or participation of attendees.
• Proactively compare technical setups against conference room booking information and provide customized solutions and support for high-profile events.
• Set up and operate public address (PA) systems for small and medium size NPR events.
• Skillfully provide sound reinforcement for complex events, often including remote participants, in a manner that reflects NPR’s commitment to high quality audio and video production.
• Develop and maintain written standard operating procedures. Educate clients on proper usage of audio / video conferencing equipment.
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others and communicate clearly and effectively.
• Oversee operation of NPR Ready-Cam facility for live and pre-taped television interviews.
• Support digital signage, IPTV (Exterity).
• Embed with NPR’s IT department and work on other projects and duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: College degree in the audio, video, or information technology preferred, and/or industry certifications
• Minimum of three years’ experience in customer facing conference room audio/visual environment
• Exceptional customer service and client interaction abilities
• Experience working with staff at all levels of an organization, including executive-level staff
• Expertise with the majority of the following is expected:
• PC and Mac hardware and operating systems
• Apple and Android mobile devices
• Conference room software applications (Power Point, Keynote, Excel, Google Docs)
• Web conferencing software (GoToMeeting, GoToWebinar, Zoom, AppearIn, WebEx, Google Hangout, Skype, Slack, etc.)
• Remote desktop applications
• Phone bridge and video conference management (Open Voice, Avaya, Polycom)
• Audio/Video formats
• IP audio and video fundamentals
• Third party streaming devices (Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.)
• Smart speaker hardware and voice assistant technologies
• IP wired and wireless networks including secure networks, VPN, VLAN is also required
• Comprehension of broadcast audio/video principles and signal flow, videos cameras, wireless microphones, etc.
• Familiarity with automatic microphone mixing systems
• Familiarity with digital signage and IPTV systems
• Excellent trouble shooting and proven problem-solving abilities
• Proficiency with audio and video editing and production tools and software
• Conformity to the highest standards of personal integrity and ethical behavior
• Detail oriented self-starter; must be capable of working independently with little supervision
• Flexible hours including some evenings and an occasional weekend
• Occasional travel may be required
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.