Associate Visual Editor
This was removed by the employer on 4/15/2021 5:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Associate Visual Editor jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Associate Visual Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Associate Visual Editor? Associate Visual Editor (temporary)
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The Visuals team at NPR works across all of our content areas, news, programming, music and podcasts. The Visuals Associate Editor will help develop and deliver daily visual news images for all platforms including NPR.org, Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and emerging platforms such as smart screen devices. The position will require the ability to think both quickly and expansively about photography, illustration and video. Ideal candidates will bring experience in photo and/or video editing, workflow management, evidence of innovative visual expression, and a belief in the value of daily news coverage. This candidate must be a team player. This editor will help imagine and translate NPR’s distinctive journalism to new and diverse audiences on all platforms. This position will require working nights, weekends and holidays as needed. This position reports to the Senior Supervising Editor for Visuals. This is a temporary position through Sept 30, 2021.
• Innovate, execute, assess and iterate daily news photo stories and projects for all platforms.
• Commission original photography and illustrations for NPR with a diverse range of topics, photographers and illustrators.
• Edit, research, license images for all NPR platforms including NPR.org, Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and emerging platforms.
• Coordinate with member station journalists as needed in order to acquire, publish and distribute visual assets for NPR and other public media platforms.
• Research, pitch, write and produce stories for NPR’s visuals blog, The Picture Show.
• Work with photographers, illustrators, agencies and vendors to process contracts and invoices from assignments.
• Organize and contribute to freelance photographer and illustrator database.
• Handle photo imaging, captions and credits for stories you edit.
• Attend meetings as needed with the Visuals team, desks, podcasts and shows.
• Uphold the highest standards for NPR’s visual journalism and storytelling.
• Stay up to date with NPR broadcasts, podcasts, reporters, news wires, competition and internal communications to make sure our visual storytelling is optimized and smart.
• Additional duties as assigned by your manager.
Bachelor’s degree in photography, journalism, or other similar related field (or the equivalent combination of education and experience).
• Must have at least 2 years of experience editing photo/video for digital platforms.
• Must be able to edit photos for breaking news with speed and distinction.
• Experience with tools such as, Photoshop, Photomechanic, FTP, content management systems and social media platforms.
• Demonstrated excellence as a visual storyteller.
• Excellent organizational, communication and collaboration skills.
• Familiarity with photo rights.
• Great Photoshop skills.
• Expertise in daily coverage of national news or general news.
• Experience making smart, fast, solid editorial decisions under pressure and tight deadlines.
• A steely, unshakable sense of journalistic ethics.
• Demonstrated ability to innovate in visual presentations.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute creative ideas, and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer. Ability and willingness to work off-hour shifts, including early mornings, nights and/or weekends.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.