NPRNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 6/17/2021 5:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Associate Producer jobs in New York-NY
Search all Associate Producer postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Associate Producer?
Full Time Job
Associate Producer, Planet Money Summer School
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Help us make Planet Money Summer School 2021! Last year we tried an experiment. An extended series adapting classic Planet Money episodes into something brand new that serves as a delightful and accessible introduction to the podcast and to the subject of economics. It was a hit. We’re bringing it back this year. We’re looking for an experienced audio producer who can take ownership of a project for this fixed term job.
It’s a chance to work with our highly collaborative team and see how we work, to think in an arc across multiple episodes, and to craft something that is meant to be heard right now, and also live on indefinitely for educators. It takes strategic thinking and sharp editorial chops. And you’ll learn a bunch.
This job is remote.
• Collaborate with hosts to identify just the right set of episodes.
• Assist in scripting as needed.
• Conceive and execute creative sonic branding and segment continuity
• Help make complicated economics simple and entertaining
• Book guests as needed.
• Cut interviews down to time.
• Cut, edit and mix episodes of the show with guidance from producers and reporters.
• Participate in group edits, offering ideas and suggestions for improving drafts.
• Gather field tape and “found sound” from online and other sources.
• Assist with live events.
• Conduct research on show topics.
• Produce content for digital media, including writing and scheduling social media posts, writing web copy and newsletters.
• Contribute to the overall journalism of the team generally.
• Assist in coordinating workflow scheduling and communication with other units of NPR as needed to execute the show.
• Complete other tasks as needed.
• 3-8 years of experience in a news environment or working experience in the field of economics.
• Experience in podcasting and/or radio broadcasting.
• Ability to edit audio decisively, on deadline, ideally in Pro Tools
• Strong storytelling sensibilities, an ability to identify anecdotes that can bring a larger idea or research finding to life, able to re-structure a story to enhance clarity and flow.
• Experience and demonstrated commitment to fact checking.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time and prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating, at all times, respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER REQUIRED SKILLS
All of the above and …
• 3-8 years experience
• Ability to troubleshoot audio recording in remote environments
• Experience booking guests on deadline
• Ability to edit audio decisively on deadline, with little supervision or guidance.
• Ability to handle complex projects with little guidance at high journalistic standards.
• Ability to use recording equipment to gather field sound.
• A natural interest in news.
• An economics, business or finance background or at least a curiosity in the subject matter.
• A practiced instinct for social media.
• Ambition and interest in improving our web and social media presence.
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a news gathering technique.
• Sound design skills.
• A knowledge of narrative audio.
HOW TO APPLY
• All applications must include a cover letter and a resume.
• In your letter:
Tell us what you think of last year’s summer school and what you think we can do differently this year
Tell us what you want to learn and how this will help your professional development.
• It’s OK to be casual and conversational in your cover letter, that’s how we are on the show, that’s how we are with each other. Overall, your application should answer the question: how will hiring you change Planet Money for the better.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.