Associate Producer, Podcast Video
Full Time Job
Associate Producer, Podcast Video (Temporary)
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
NPR Visuals is focused on creating and distributing content that reflects and serves America. We work with teams across NPR, our member stations, and content partners to tell stories and engage audiences on NPR.org, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and other visual platforms.
The Associate Producers for Podcast Video will help produce, record, edit and deliver daily and weekly visual news and entertainment packages for visual platforms, bridging the worlds of audio podcasting and visual storytelling. Ideal candidates will bring experience with all stages of production and will be able to specialize in one of three areas: producing/coordinating, field producing, or editing. Together with a team of editors and content creators, these team members will help enhance and translate NPR’s distinctive journalism to new audiences on visual platforms.
• Produce, record and/or edit video interviews for multiple visual platforms
• Clearly communicate vision, project goals, project scope and timeline in collaboration with an editor
• Help design and implement best practices for video production workflows
• Uphold the highest standards for the visual tone of our storytelling
• Survey NPR and the competitive landscape to make sure our video storytelling is optimized and smart.
• On occasion, create daily and weekly video projects for emerging platforms
• Specialty responsibilities
• Producer: Coordinate production and publication schedules for weekly projects
• Field Producer: Preproduce, record and deliver high-quality video interviews, whether recording remotely and in the field
• Editor: Edit video interviews with speed and finesse for multiple visual platforms
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a specialization in film, video, media production, photography or journalism preferred.
• At least 2-5 years of video production experience, preferably with a major network or newsroom, studio or creative agency.
• The ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Advanced knowledge of Premiere and Photoshop
• Familiarity with After Effects and Illustrator
• Knowledge of relevant formats and best practices for YouTube, Instagram and TikTok
• Experience following and improving workflows for media management and video publishing
• Experience making smart, fast, solid editorial decisions under pressure
• Excellent verbal communication and writing skills
• A deep familiarity with copyright and ethical journalism practices
• A strong interest in current events
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Ability and willingness to work occasional off-hour shifts, including early mornings, nights and/or weekends
• Specialty required skills
• Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
• Experience with managing multiple sets of stakeholders
• Field Producer:
• Experience with managing multiple cameras, lighting and audio in the field with a small team
• Experience with remote live video capture via services like Riverside, EasyLive, StreamYard, OBS, vMix, or Wirecast
• Experience with color correction and basic audio editing/mixing
• Experience with audio podcast development, production, and distribution
• Experience working with cameras, switchers, and other live video equipment
• Experience with file-based workflows and supporting technologies such as MAM, transcoding software, audio/video codecs, wrappers and related specifications
• Experience and skill with a content management system
• Specialty preferred skills
• Field Producer: Must be able to lift video equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA. The minimum annualized salary for this position is $85,000.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law and any other applicable law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.