Associate Producer, NPR One
Full Time Job
The Associate Producer is responsible for making the day-to-day programming and production decisions about the content presented in NPR One and other emerging audio platforms. Strong understanding of editorial values, writing, and communication skills are essential. We are looking for someone with a keen interest in being involved in an innovative project that blends NPR's editorial and digital product development to create the future of listening.
• Curate the national news content for NPR One and Smart Speakers on a daily basis
• Works with show and desk staff to build customized presentation of stories for digital audio platforms
• Prepare materials for inclusion on NPR One and other new listening platforms
• Assist with curating national and local podcast content
• Assist with evaluating data in order to make curatorial decisions and provide insights about content performance
• Efficiently coordinates and collaborates with editorial and production staff
• Works closely with Digital Media Production to ensure that post-production of stories is accurate and appropriate.
• Ensure exclusive material is smoothly integrated into the technical systems.
• Work closely with the Managing Director to make changes to the systems and algorithms that controls the content presented on emerging platforms
• Collaborate with Managing Director and product teams at Digital Media to develop and refine tools and workflows for content delivery
• Develop, edit and produce digital first content, occasionally
• Engage with NPR One followers on social media
• Participate in experiments and efforts to create new listening experiences on new technology
• Ability and willingness to regularly work a variety of shifts, including Weekends, Swing and Overnight.
• Works under tight deadlines. Research, writing, spelling/grammar skills are essential.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with training in journalism and/or research
• Experience in daily coverage of national news or general news. Familiarity with specialty topics such as foreign policy, business, sports, science, music, arts, etc.
• Solid, independent news judgment.
• Demonstrated skills in writing and editing.
• Understanding of, and passion for, engaging with audience via social media platforms.
• Strong understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Demonstrated ability to edit and produce audio in deadline situations.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.