Associate General Counsel, Labor & Employment
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Senior Associate/Associate General Counsel for Labor & Employment provides expert employment and labor relations advice consistent with the Company’s overall business and corporate strategy, including NPR’s key commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Leads the employment legal function supporting NPR and its subsidiaries with employment and labor related legal advice. Directly supervises one junior labor and employment lawyer and oversees the work of paralegals, other in-house lawyers and outside counsel as needed.
• Advise leaders and HR professionals in a complex environment supporting more than 1000 journalists and support staff around the world.
• Provide advice and counsel on employment law issues including hiring, discipline, terminations, pay and benefits. Counsels HR, management and supervisors on handling employee relations matters, including employee counseling, discipline and benefits issues.
• In conjunction with the Director of Labor and Employee Relations and Investigations, Chief Legal Officer and Chief Human Resources Officer (“Director LERI, CLO, and CHRO”), assists in setting the Company’s labor and employee relations strategy.
• Serves as a subject-matter expert in all areas of NPR’s union contracts and employment policies. Advises leaders, managers, and HR Business Partners to ensure NPR’s compliance with its collective bargaining agreements and applicable law. Acts as lead in-house counsel in representing the Company as part of the management team during collective bargaining negotiations.
• Assists with the development, drafting, and implementation of employment policies to advance NPR business objectives while complying with legal requirements.
• Participates in Joint Benefits Task Force meetings.
• Participates in Crisis Management Team meetings, advising on security and safety issues.
• Together with the Director LERI, develops and facilitates training on the union contracts and employment policies and procedures.
• Negotiates and drafts Personal Services Contracts, offer letters, separation agreements and similar documentation of arrangements between NPR and employees, and contributors, freelancers, and other contractors.
• Advises managers and International Desk staff on compliance with applicable international registration, employment, and related legal matters.
• Represents NPR, with the assistance of outside counsel as needed, in administrative procedures and legal actions, including mediations, arbitrations, labor audits and complaints, EEOC and other fair employment practices agency charges, and lawsuits.
• Cultivates and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
• Cultivates and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned, including contracts drafting and
• Supervise at least one direct report, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree and J.D. required
• At least seven years of relevant experience in law firm, in-house legal team or government agency.
• Licensed to practice in at least one jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the District of Columbia.
• Extensive knowledge of labor and employment law and regulations (including, anti-discrimination laws, anti-retaliation and other whistleblower protection laws. FMLA and other leave laws, wage hour and wage payment laws, employment tax rules, labor laws, as well as basic understanding of immigration, workplace safety, and employee benefits laws).
• Ability to quickly establish credibility with management and union leadership as an effective resources and problem-solver; ability to work well in a team environment and in collaboration with Human Resources staff and with union leadership.
• Considerable ability to exercise independent judgment and make analyses and recommendations on difficult and sensitive labor and employee relations matters.
• Exceptional communication, influencing, facilitation and presentation skills, including strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
• Experience in negotiation of complex and sophisticated contracts, including ability to assess and articular appropriate risk/reward analysis.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.