Full Time Job
Join the team that helps cut through the flood of daily news with the smartest take on the most important stories of the day.
As an Assistant Producer/Editor, you will help book guests, draft host copy, edit audio for air/publication. You love news, you love audio. You have a curious mind that’s always searching for context and meaning. Your work will reach audiences across platforms, to help them understand which stories of the day mattered most, and WHY.
• Drafts host and reporter audio for broadcast/publication
• Generates story and interview ideas, consistently engaged with news of the day
• Pre-interview and book guests
• Assists in strategically planning and executing audience engagement across social and digital platforms
• Edits stories for continuity, integrity of journalism, quality of writing, manner of presentation, and consistency of style.
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred. (Ex: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience)
• At least 4 years of journalism experience
• Skill in both news and feature editing.
• Ability to synthesize information into actionable tasks.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Knowledge of basic and advanced principles of audio production for information and news programming.
• Experience with the type of audio production done at NPR.
• Experience in online journalism.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.