Associate Editor, Digital Content
Full Time Job
Come join our dynamic Digital Content team!
NPR is looking for an enthusiastic journalist for an Associate Engagement Editor to elevate NPR’s focus on our audience and deeper engagement. The engagement team is critical to the daily operations of NPR’s newsroom. The overnight associate editor will contribute to a culture of collaboration and innovation across all disciplines by working closely with shows, desks and podcasts to develop social media and audience engagement strategies for digital stories.
The associate engagement editor keeps track of breaking news events and ensures that NPR’s presentation is up-to-date on mobile platforms, including NPR News App and Apple News. The right candidate will have the ability to craft language on NPR social channels to engage audience and monitors developments with social media companies. This role will write and edit stories and headlines on a wide range of subjects to ensure NPR’s content is engaging and reaches a wide audience online. In addition, the editor will maximize search engine optimization and ensure story pages provide related links and content, along with tracking breaking news and occasionally writes stories. The overnight duties would also include assisting with news updates across digital platforms, including NPR.org, Facebook, Twitter and the breaking news alert system. For development, this role will assist in projects with Digital Media team to improve NPR’s digital editorial products and newsroom tools.
*This position requires a 40-hour week on the overnight shift, including Friday and Saturday nights. Hours may also include holidays.
• Edits NPR’s home page and curates our social channel. Uses news judgment to determine story play; chooses stories and packages to be displayed on various digital platforms; assists in planning and execution of digital content for daily stories and long-term coverage.
• Assists with production/writing of stories that will be appear on digital platforms, often under daily deadline pressure.
• Working on deadline and under pressure, helps write headlines, teasers and other display copy for incoming stories; uses news judgment to assign Top Stories; assigns stories to topic pages; updates topic pages.
• Produces and edits show rundown pages.
• Demonstrates skills in writing of headlines, teasers and other display copy for all incoming stories.
• Work on SEO for incoming stories and optimize stories for search.
• Advocate for the needs of NPR’s native platforms and off-platform channels.
• Locates appropriate links and other material to enhance Web stories and posts.
• Handles shifts as assigned, including weekday and weekend overnights and holidays.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience
• At least 3-5 years of experience in daily news coverage as a Digital or Web producer or editor. Some online news experience preferred.
• Must be available to work overnight, including some weekdays, Saturday and Sunday.
• Ability to communicate effectively to various levels of employees and management.
• Demonstrated skills in news writing, editing and headline writing.
• Experience with social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic ethics and standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and to effectively collaborate with a team.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed with news show teams.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Quality Decision Making
• Problem Solving
• Learning Agility
• Managing Complexity
• Building Stakeholder Relationships
• Experience editing and/or reporting.
• Experience with working on social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
• Familiarity with Chartbeat and Google Analytics.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.