Associate Editor, All Things Considered
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The ideal candidate for this Associate Editor position on All Things Considered will have background in audio news journalism, as well as digital and reporting experience.
This Associate Editor will edit and produce program material submitted by producers, hosts, reporters and others. This Associate Editor will consistently Initiate, plans and edit original program material for broadcast.
• At least three years of broadcasting experience.
• At least two years of experience in live broadcasting.
• Demonstrated writing ability for broadcast, podcast and digital space
• Ability to work varied shifts
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability and willingness to relocate.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Able to work in-person on-site, as well as remotely
• Familiarity with digital and multimedia production
• Familiarity with the public radio system
• Passion for connecting with diverse audiences on a range of platforms
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in journalism
• Follows news closely and prepares copy and interviews for the program.
• Assists in editing program material, including special projects and live coverage.
• Initiates, plans and edits program material for next day’s show and future shows.
• Generates original ideas for host interviews, reporter pieces and other show elements
• Researches and identifies program guests; builds personal and show contact list.
• Demonstrates keen awareness of topics covered/elements produced by NPR Desks and shows when pitching and producing original show material.
• Tracks guest contact information and interview schedules.
• Assists staff in the production of on-air product, including composing thorough passoffs and scheduling pre-interview preparation time.
• Edits tape and writes continuity as needed.
• Coordinates and communicates effectively with NPR staff in various locations and on various shifts
• Fills in for other editors when assigned, including on various shifts.
• Works in the field with reporters and hosts as assigned
• Other duties as assigned.
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA. The minimum salary for this position is $70,000.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law..