Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Jazz Night in America (JNIA), public radio’s first multi-platform jazz program, introduces millions of listeners and digital viewing audiences to the rich sounds, rhythms and stories of jazz music. JNIA is a collaborative initiative from NPR, Member station partner WBGO in Newark, New Jersey and Jazz at Lincoln Center that centralizes three sources of rich jazz programming – radio, video and live performance – under one unified brand. The hour-long, weekly radio show is augmented by interviews with Christian McBride for NPR’s flagship news magazine All Things Considered, in addition to a vibrant digital platform and a video documentary series.
JNIA is looking for an experienced video producer to create engaging, entertaining and informative stories centered around jazz. The producer will be an employee of NPR but will work closely with colleagues from all three organizations. The position requires the ability to think creatively about building new audiences by crafting compelling video stories about jazz and its intersection with national conversations, current events and American culture. It also requires the ability to conceive, shoot and edit video and audio with distinction. Ideal candidates bring enthusiasm for and knowledge of jazz music and experience working with multi-faceted teams. Together with a team of video and radio producers, this team member will help grow the digital audience for JNIA.
• Develop, conceive and execute original video content from pitch through publication with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor storytelling for young and diverse audiences.
• Produce, shoot and edit episodes clearly, communicating the vision, project goals, narrative scope and timeline for each production.
• Collaborate with JNIA partners and lead video producer to develop story ideas for documentary video shorts and full length concert presentations.
• Research story ideas and fact check supporting materials maintaining NPR editorial and ethical guidelines.
• Perform basic post-production techniques: text graphics, sound design, and color correction.
• Be familiar with copyright law and synchronization rights.
• Work Location- NPR-Washington DC, or NPR-New York City, however the temporary ability to work remotely is available.
• Willingness to work flexible hours. Occasional travel required.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a specialization in film, video, media production, photography or journalism preferred.
• Preferred: at least 3 years of video production experience, preferably with a major network, studio or creative agency.
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud programs related to video and photo design. (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Experience working in the field of African American music traditions and culture with talent and interview subjects.
• Experience producing music content and stories. (preferably jazz)
• Demonstrated commitment to increasing audience diversity.
• Knowledge of social and streaming platforms, accompanying formats and best practices.
• Demonstrated commitment to music, the arts and culture.
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Must be able to lift video equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and in the jazz genre.
• Knowledge of jazz history, jazz studies, jazz theory and/or African American music traditions and culture
• The selected candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to work collaboratively with teams and stakeholders. The selected candidate will monitor and track the progress of projects while ensuring projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
• Experience creating social media visuals, including video and gifs.
NPR is committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and welcomes interest in this position from people of color and other underrepresented identities.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.