Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Embedded is an NPR podcast that takes a story from the news and creates in-depth audio and digital stories. We’re looking for an assistant producer (AP) who has sharp editorial instincts, a desire to dig deep into audio mixes and an ear for great sound.
The Assistant Producer will cut audio of long-form narrative reporting, assist with sound design, gather field tape and “found sound” from online and other sources, and assemble audio montages. The role will assist with interview production and live events, book guests for host interviews, conduct research on show topics and produce content for digital media including web builds and newsletters, in addition to conducting research, compiling show data and completing other administrative tasks as needed.
• Plan and assist with reporting episodes and long-term projects
• Participate in sound gathering and audio production for podcast and other NPR broadcast platforms
• Pitch, pursue and report story threads
• Cut interviews, mix audio and episodes
• Coordinate and book guest interviews
• Conduct research and basic data analysis
• Write digital and social media copy
• Assist the supervising producer with workflow management
• Perform other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
• Ability to communicate effectively with team members and stakeholders
• Ability to edit audio.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Demonstrated experience in conducting research and finding and interviewing sources.
• Strong organizational and planning capabilities.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating, at all times, respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Original reporting experience
• Knowledge of Pro Tools
• Podcasting or radio broadcasting experience
• History of writing content for social media
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.