Assistant Producer Or Editor, All Things Considered
Full Time Job
Join the team that helps cut through the flood of daily news with the smartest take on the most important stories of the day, and help create the sound and shape of daily news-driven podcast content.
As an Assistant Producer/Editor, you will help book guests, draft host copy, edit audio for air/publication. You love news, you love audio. You have a curious mind that’s always searching for context and meaning. Your work will reach audiences across platforms, to help them understand which stories of the day mattered most, and WHY.
• Edits audio
• Drafts host and reporter audio for broadcast/publication
• Generates story and interview ideas, consistently engaged with news of the day
• Pre-interview and book guests
• Assists in strategically planning and executing audience engagement across social and digital platforms
• Other duties as assigned
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
• At least 1.5 -3 years’ experience in journalism
• Demonstrated ability to deftly edit audio
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently on deadline
• Ability to work varied shifts
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Experience in audio journalism, especially DAVID based systems
• Experience on a daily news show, in broadcast or podcast space
• Experience in public radio system
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Field production and planning experience
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.