Assistant Producer, All Things Considered
Full Time Job
Come join the team that produces NPR’s afternoon flagship program, All Things Considered. From breaking news to long-form storytelling, we bring up-to-the-minute news coverage to our audience daily. If you are curious and love the adrenaline rush of a daily news broadcast we want to hear from you. As an assistant/associate producer at ATC you produce program material for the daily two-hour broadcast that’s timely, topical and reflects the interests of a diverse audience. You work in the studio and in the field with four of the best hosts in public radio. You mix audio and write story elements. You use your journalism smarts to book guests who are at the heart of news. You contribute digital and social media content. This is a Monday to Friday position.
• Edits audio, host interviews and reporter actualities
• Prepares scripts and other material for air as required
• Generates story and interview ideas
• Write news and program copy
• Pre-interview and book guests
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience)
• At least 1.5 -3 years’ experience in journalism
• Ability to edit audio
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently on deadline
• Ability to work varied shifts
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
PREFERRED SKILLS (for Associate Producer)
• Experience in broadcast journalism
• Experience on a daily news show
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Field production and planning experience
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Demonstrated experience in editorial decision-making
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.