Senior Director, Production Finance - Nickelodeon
Full Time Job
Overall financial responsibilities for Nickelodeon’s Burbank based facilities and oversight of all Animation, Preschool, and Live Action Series and Development. Responsibilities include partnering with bi-coastal Production Management, Current Series and Development teams and Senior Leadership regarding accounting and financial overview for all production and West Coast operations, as well non-production activities and analysis. Assist all operating groups and department heads with budgeting and planning, all duties concerning month/quarter-end closes, preparation of monthly reports, ad hoc reporting requests, SOX and GAAP compliance, as well as the growth, development, and training of staff.
Production Finance Management
• Compile Burbank facilities annual budgets, quarterly estimates and report on overhead analysis and chargeback/allocation back to series productions. This includes setting and meeting deadlines, meeting with the line of business heads to gather and share information, variance reporting, identifying risks and opportunities, and communicating all information to the relevant parties.
• Oversee production budget review and production post-mortems, including gathering episode delivery information, production cash flow planning/analysis and variance explanations for Senior Executive leaders of Nickelodeon.
• Recommend to studio and production senior management on performance measures, business metrics, strategic planning, and financial control procedures.
• Coordinate with East and West Coast production and management groups, managing production budget review/approvals, cost report distribution, production analysis.
Corporate Finance Management
• Oversee P&L and financial close process with regards to Burbank Core Services, development, series production and non-series related production.
• Analyze and track actuals vs. budgets and estimates and research variances; identifying risks and opportunities, ensuring that all data is properly loaded into the financial systems. Communicate findings to NY Nickelodeon Finance teams and senior executives as necessary.
• Collaborate with NY Nickelodeon finance to manage requests from General Accounting regarding animation/studio balance sheet items, production cash flows, journal entries, etc. and internal/external audit requests as necessary.
• Advise Nickelodeon finance teams supporting other LOBs, with regards to financial planning and reporting when there are cross-departmental expenses.
• Ad hoc reporting as necessary to support Viacom Treasury and Tax groups regarding production overseas/tax rebates, West Coast animation studio, productions, development and WC based/satellite groups (i.e. Special Events, Talent Management).
• Act as liaison between Capital Expense Planning/Portfolio Management and Burbank Core Services, West Coast Technical Operations and West Coast Media & Technology Services departments regarding annual budgets and quarterly forecasts.
• Serve as finance point of contact for other LOBs (i.e. Talent, HR) that are based in Burbank.
• Counsel business heads and senior management on financial initiatives, such as system and policy proposals, to ensure that production and finance’s goals and needs are continually addressed and meet overall objectives.
• Provide critical analysis and direction on production and non-production deals/agreements, monitor compliance with financial, legal, HR and company-wide policies.
• Partner with west coast studio executive management teams on long range strategic planning for series production, non-series related production, Burbank facilities planning and standard operating procedures.
• Guide the development of activity plans and related budgets; assess performance and financial outlook through monthly analysis and quarterly business reviews based on direction from executive management.
• Supervise production finance team of 3 who support day to day activities of all series productions, including individual show accounting for in house productions, payroll, SAP/Market support, coordinate with bicoastal production groups on cost reporting, and ancillary billing for outside production work.
• Develop and mentor talent to ensure strong foundation and growth for production finance team.
• Identify strengths and weaknesses and outline action steps for improvement of job performance, including company sponsored and outside training opportunities.
• 12 years finance/accounting experience, preferably within the media/entertainment landscape, with at least 5 years in a leadership role.
• Bachelor degree in accounting, finance or related field required. Graduate degree or professional certification/license in related field strongly preferred.
• Strong working knowledge of accounting for episodic Live Action or Animation series and/or previous experience in corporate accounting/finance setting a plus.
• Prior staff management experience
• Highly proficient in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint skills
• Experience with SAP and Longview Solutions ideal
• Knowledge of the entertainment industry, especially TV production preferred
• Familiar with Local 839 IATSE Agreement related to animation guild contracts
• Excellent leadership, teamwork, critical thinking and communication skills
• Adhere to confidential nature of highly sensitive material
• Appreciates/pays attention to detail but possesses the ability to see the bigger picture and understands the relevance.
• Efficiency, speed, accuracy, pro-active approach to job, and strong interpersonal skills essential
• A willingness to work as part of a team and cover other roles as necessary
• Ability to solve problems/be inquisitive, organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
• Works well under pressure and completes (both individual and joint) projects on a timely basis
• Must be improvement oriented and have an innovative point of view