Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs
Full Time Job
This is an attorney-level position in the Nickelodeon Business and Legal Affairs department to provide day-to-day legal and business affairs services for Nickelodeon content, with a focus on original, live action scripted series development and production and talent, across various lines of business. This position will be located in Los Angeles, California. This person will handle a heavy volume of development, production and talent-related matters relating to both in-house and third-party productions. The Group’s business and legal affairs department handles development and production work for both scripted and unscripted programming and works closely with the networks’ Development and Production Management teams as well as many other departments (including Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation, Marketing, Ad Sales, and Accounting/Finance).
Primary duties will include:
• Structuring, drafting and negotiating development and production agreements (e.g., rights acquisition, producer, writer, production services, and talent agreements, venue and location releases, etc.)
• Performing and/or supervising day-to-day legal production work for presentations, pilots, specials and series
• Counseling in-house client groups (including Development, Production and Marketing teams) on variety of legal issues, deal-making strategies and corporate policies
• Managing all types of production-related legal matters (including intellectual property, union, contracts, music, regulatory and employment law issues)
• Reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management
• Overseeing contract administration and compliance
• Researching relevant legal issues
• Providing risk assessments for production-related matters
• Advising and communicating with various other departments within Viacom Media Networks regarding exploitation of original programming across all media platforms
• Performing other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related tasks as needed and assigned by senior business and legal affairs executives.
Qualified candidates must be members of the California Bar (or eligible for Registered In-House Counsel designation) with:
• a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience at a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company.
• substantive working knowledge of television industry agreements, major union agreements (WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA, etc.), contract law and intellectual property rights (as applicable to the entertainment industry), along with demonstrated capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning
• excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills
• scripted TV experience strongly preferred
Desired candidate will be well-versed in entertainment industry (preferably in scripted TV) customs and practices and possess demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys. Must be able to work independently, multi-task under pressure, and manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly. The Business & Legal Affairs department works as a team in a highly collaborative manner. The ideal candidate will have a cooperative, positive, team-oriented spirit.