Surfacing Look Dev Lead
Nickelodeon AnimationBurbank, CA
This was removed by the employer on 9/30/2022 4:02:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Surfacing Look Dev Lead jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Surfacing Look Dev Lead postings
Full Time Job
Surfacing Look Dev Lead (Star Trek: Prodigy)
The Surfacing Look Dev Lead will be responsible for leading the surfacing team in creating the materials, textures, shader development, and grooming needed to achieve the desired look of the characters, environments, and props for production. The role will rely on strong aesthetic judgment and superior technical skills to create high quality imagery matching the style of the show. The Surfacing Look Dev Lead will work closely with show leadership to maintain production quotas while ensuring the assets delivered are of the highest caliber. The ideal candidate must have a critical eye with their own work and the work of others, be able to follow reference material and concept art, stay organized, solve problems, and work well with a team.
• Work with other artists to achieve a specified look, based on 2D concepts, and maintain a consistent level of quality across all assets.
• Provide timely constructive feedback and concise directions on textured assets as needed to vendor studio and in-house production artists.
• Supervising in-house artists and freelancers on creative feedback as well as maintaining asset schedule.
• Review files and troubleshoot issues to ensure the pipeline continues running smoothly.
• Must be capable of creating painterly, stylized, procedural, and photorealistic textures.
• Texture 3D characters, props, and sets within Substance Painter and Photoshop.
• Set up Maya shaders and use them to achieve desired looks.
• Modify UVs for texturing when needed.
• Develop and document the department's pipeline in collaboration with the Co-EP and other department leads.
• Working with the production's TD, develop and improve procedures and tools to facilitate production.
• Anticipate, analyze, and find solutions to potential and actual technical problems.
• Prepare guidelines and instructions to be followed by the surfacing team.
• Continually check the consistency of the work done by the surfacing artists.
• Must have a portfolio and demo reel that demonstrates look development skills.
• Minimum 2 years of experience in the television, gaming, or feature film industries.
• Excellent artistic, painting, and texturing skills.
• Knowledge and experience in Maya, Substance Painter, XGen grooming (of both hair and fur), and GPU rendering.
• Mastery of Maya shading networks and capabilities.
• Understanding of UV layout and principles.
• Ability to create high quality texture maps, including all supporting shader attributes (specularity, refraction, bump/displacement, etc.).
• In-depth understanding of color theory and application.
• Excellent understanding of light, textures, detail, and composition.
• Strong understanding of how other CG disciplines operate (modeling, rigging, lighting).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multitask, prioritize competing demands, and follow through on tasks.
• Must be flexible enough to switch between artistic and technical roles given the needs of the show.
• Ability to work as part of a team as well as be resourceful and self-driven.
• Experience with Python and MEL is a plus.
• Knowledge of multiple XGen grooming methods (guide-based, groomable splines, tube groom) is preferred.
• Understanding of front and back-end processes using tools like ShotGrid/Shotgun and Deadline.