Director, Animation Development & Executive in Charge Of Production
Nickelodeon AnimationBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Reports To: VPs, Franchise Development & Original Animation Development
The Director of Animation Development will serve as the lead executive on the development of assigned properties and tackle special creative assignments as they arise. Additionally, the Director will contribute to Nickelodeon’s commitment to develop original series by soliciting pitches for animated content, finding potential show creators, and identifying potential talent for development and series staff opportunities.
As an Executive in Charge of Production, the Director will oversee the entire exciting production process! From greenlight to final delivery, of an animated series, as well as act as the principle representative of the series to the rest of the network.
Specific Development Responsibilities Include:
• Drive the development of Properties from concept to series, ensuring that projects stay on schedule, hit achievements, and address needs and feedback throughout
• Provide creative feedback during the development process and during the ongoing production where applicable
• Oversee the written notes generated for internal discussion and conversations with talent or production partners. Oversee the revisions of notes following those conversations
• Research and establish relationships with artists who are potential creators, or those that could be considered for freelance or staff positions
• Solicit and field pitches from possible creators
• Share talent, pitches & coverage with cohorts across both Original and Franchise Animation groups
• Attend festivals and other industry events
• Anticipate and identify needs for information from the network and establish processes to prepare, distribute, or present
• Delegates and guides Coordinator or Manager to distribute assets to partners within the network
• Build relationships within the company to create a healthy and professional work flow supporting the franchise properties
• Develop and maintain an understanding of Nickelodeon’s core demo to help inform development conversations and decisions
• Partner with Research to acquire kids’ feedback on franchise properties at the start of development
• Oversee the curation of talent lists to review for development assignments
• Support series once in early stages of production
• Other related duties as assigned
Executive in Charge Responsibilities Include:
AT PRODUCTION LAUNCH
• EIC works closely with series creators, producers and writers to further develop the series’ story direction and visual style. Also responsible for making creative changes based on focus group testing feedback.
• Work closely with our studio production department to help staff the series in all areas, e.g., Supervising Producers, Directors, Writers, Composers, etc.
• Work with producers and post teams to ensure all programs align with Nick’s creative guidelines and the network’s standards and practices.
• Act as the liaison and point person for current series with all LOB’s - includes intensive communication, planning and collaboration with Marketing, NCR, On-Air Promos, Programming, Press, Digital, Recreations, Consumer Products, International, Publishing, Music, Home Video, Apparel, etc.
• Work closely with Legal as it relates to clearance, talent deals and licensing requests.
• Supervise content and creative direction for show-related projects including: Launch Kits, Press Kits, Style Guides, Logos, web sites, apps, Twitter feeds, Facebook, short-form animation, and Recreations-related projects.
• Assist and/or fully produce content for conventions and/or trade events related to series throughout the year: ComicCon, Upfronts, miscellaneous Marketing events, etc.
• Foster positive relationships with show talent. Help to manage talent relations if issues arise
• Communicate Network initiatives to shows’ Executive Producers/Creators and entire production crew
• Provide feedback for premises, outlines, scripts, animatics, rough cuts, and final delivered episodes.
• Manage assets with Production and distribute to NCR to develop consumer products
• Work closely with other LOBs to review and provide feedback on work that is produced ensuring that they reflect the visual and content integrity of show
• Ensure that delivery schedules and logline information is updated and distributed across all departments
• Communicates Standard & Practices and Legal concerns with Production?
• Shares critical updates and show assets with other lines of business
• Delegates and guides Coordinator or Manager to distribute assets to NCR to develop consumer products
• Collaborates with Post to ensure smooth delivery of episodes and assets to NCR
• Responsible for reading and providing critical feedback on work produced by the other LOBs
• Review and signed off on On-Air Promo scripts and rough cuts.
• Collaborates with Marketing and NCR to create Launch Kit
• Coordinates with production to deliver artwork, sizzle reels, and various production materials to share with Marketing teams
• Coordinate with Consumer Products to ensure quality control with executive producers on products
• Minimum eight (8) years’ experience supervising various projects on an overall animation development slate
• Experience launching a large number of pitches to be developed into animated series for a network
• Experience in talent outreach across the animation industry
• Experience managing or developing properties that extend into other lines of business
• Experience with content for Kids in the 6-11 space
• Bachelor's degree preferred
• Supervisory abilities across numerous projects and initiatives
• Passion for kids and family entertainment
• Ability to prioritize and manage numerous projects in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge and passion for animation and deep understanding of animation production
• Strong communication skills—the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of executives, creatives, and other partners
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong connections to the animation community