Color Designer Cg
Nickelodeon AnimationBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Color Designer CG (Star Trek: Prodigy)
For over 30 years, the Nickelodeon Animation Studio continues to be one of the largest producers of television animation in the world, reflecting all kids today. Based in Burbank, Calif., with offices in New York, the Studio, designed by our artists and for our artists, is home to the world's greatest creative talents. Our campus of creativity houses top-notch talent, storytellers, artists, production teams, voice actors, cartoon experts and more. At Nickelodeon, we are always looking to recruit dedicated craftspeople to help bring groundbreaking new ideas to life and that starts with you! We are leading the way in animated content for TV series, TV movies, shorts and theatrical features. Some of our new upcoming original animated series include, Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years, Rugrats, Middlemost Post, Star Trek: Prodigy, Big Nate and Santiago of the Seas, among others.Our content development teams are creator-driven, our work culture is collaborative, our mentorship of new talent is second to none, and we are committed to hiring inclusively to reflect authenticity in the diverse stories we want to tell.Join us!
Must be aesthetically capable of creating painterly, stylized, procedural, and photorealistic textures in several specified styles. The ideal candidate must have a critical eye with their own work, be able to follow reference material and concept art, be organized, have the ability to problem solve technically, be resourceful, creative, and work well with a team.
• Ability to understand and interpret Concept/Line work designs received from the Art Director.
• Ability to communicate CG materials through color designs.
• Knowledge of Subsurface Scattering, Light Absorption, Albedo, Iridescence, Roughness Reflectiveness, and other light-based Aesthetic concepts.
• Capability to ideate on Art Director instruction in the stylized and photoreal realms.
• Review storyboard and past designs to ensure continuity of color key materials.
• Ask appropriate questions of the Art Director necessary to understand & complete color designs.
• Make any changes or revisions and re-submit to Art Director for approval.
• Communicate with Supervisor and Production Coordinator regarding status of work and any problems that arise.
• Ability to digitally paint across several art styles as described above as well as design and document workflows for subordinate team members.
• Ability to create textures in Maya with Photoshop, Substance Painter and Mari.
• Develop Redshift Shaders and Substance Materials based on concepts and designs.
• Texture and develop looks for skin, hard surface, organic, characters, props, and sets for final use in Maya/Redshift.
• Set up Maya shaders/shader networks and use them to achieve desired looks.
• Review UVâ€™s for texturing when needed.
• Communicate directly with the Art Director to iterate on CG looks.
• Ensure quality & style of show is achieved.
• Complete work on schedule.
• Must have a portfolio and DVD demo reel that demonstrates texture painting skills
• Minimum 2 years experience in the television, gaming, or feature film industries
• Excellent artistic, painting, and texturing skills
• Understanding of the Maya/Redshift Shading networks and capabilities
• Comprehension of UV layout and principles
• Ability to create high quality texture maps, including all supporting maps (bump, specular, transparency, etc)
• In-depth understanding of color theory and application
• Understanding of the CG Pipeline
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills. Ability to multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and follow through on details
• Must be flexible enough to deal with changing role requirements
• UV unwrapping skills a plus
• Mudbox/Zbrush knowledge a plus