Nickelodeon AnimationBurbank, CA
This was removed by the employer on 1/18/2022 11:01:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Character Designer jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Character Designer postings
Full Time Job
Character Designer (Avatar Studios)
Avatar Studios is looking for a highly adaptable, self-motivated Character Designer to join our team. The Designer will help conceptualize and develop the look of characters for the upcoming Feature and produce designs from early concepts to final model sheets. The Character Designer should understand how to convey storytelling through character design, and have tight draftsmanship to match and further develop the existing art styles of the Avatar/Legend of Korra series. Their designs should resonate and help enhance storytelling by developing the look, costuming, personality, and feel of the characters.
• Working from descriptions and/or scripts, to receive & understand Character Design assignments from the Creative Team.
• Develop various posing and/or versions of characters in the show style.
• Infuse characters with personality using visual cues, color, unique expressions, distinctive body language, and grounded anatomy while doing so in a style that aligns with the established show style and is inspired by the shape language and appeal that is subtlety found in feature-quality Japanese animation.
• Create characters that are relatable, engaging, and specific by capturing qualities observed from real life references, and to adapt those traits into the show style.
• Craft accurate expressions and full body model sheets and/or turnarounds showing characters drawn from different angles, with details that hook up from pose to pose.
• Ability to take line artwork to completion in a highly specific style of Cleanup, with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
• Problem-solve with the team for the development of each design. Revise artwork according to feedback and teamwork, open to direction and cooperative with change.
• Adhere to production schedules by communicating with the Production Designer & Production Manager regarding status of work and any problems that arise.
• Strong level of draftsmanship, with the ability to adapt and draw in highly specific anime art styles.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in style of show.
• Relevant drawing experience necessary. Portfolio should display an understanding of animation production model sheet needs (turnarounds, concept ideation, roughs, cleanups, expressions, poses) and ability to hit show style (whether by having artwork that closely resembles that of designs found in The Legend of Korra, and/or having fan art of other similarly proportioned anime shows that demonstrate the artist's ability and willingness to adapt to and proficiently match different show styles).
• Knowledge and experience with Photoshop.
• Knowledge of or willingness to learn applicable design software and hardware, such as Clip Studio Paint.
• Strong time-management skills.
• Work well given tight deadlines.
• BA in Fine Arts or equivalent work experience highly desired.
• Ability to multitask a plus.