Cg Compositing Director
Nickelodeon AnimationBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
CG Compositing Director (CG Series)
For over 30 years, the Nickelodeon Animation Studio continues to be one of the largest producers of television animation in the world, reflecting all kids today. Based in Burbank, Calif., with offices in New York, the Studio, designed by our artists and for our artists, is home to the world's greatest creative talents. Our campus of creativity houses top-notch talent, storytellers, artists, production teams, voice actors, cartoon experts and more. At Nickelodeon, we are always looking to recruit dedicated craftspeople to help bring groundbreaking new ideas to life and that starts with you! We are leading the way in animated content for TV series, TV movies, shorts and theatrical features. Some of our new upcoming original animated series include, Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years, Rugrats, Middlemost Post, Star Trek: Prodigy, Big Nate and Santiago of the Seas, among others.Our content development teams are creator-driven, our work culture is collaborative, our mentorship of new talent is second to none, and we are committed to hiring inclusively to reflect authenticity in the diverse stories we want to tell.Join us!
Aid CG Supervisor and Show Runners to fulfill their creative vision by maintaining and improving the Nickelodeon CG show's lighting, compositing, and rendering (LRC) pipeline.
For each episodic segment, gauge storyboard and animatics from an LRC stand-point during breakdown meetings to ensure timely delivery within the confines of our production model.
Prior to episode ship dates, note LRC and FX requirements including unique lighting and compositing scenarios, light rigs, time of day, and key light direction for each episode in the appropriate tracking software to ensure that vendor studios have initial guidance for the final look of each scene within each episode.
Instruct vendor studios by making notes, video notes, paint-overs and whatever else necessary to correct inconsistencies, mistakes and/or misdirection on â€œfinalâ€ shots that are received from vendor studios.
• Work closely with the CG supervisor on best practices and methods regarding lighting, compositing, rendering, and FX.
• Review episodic animation during lighting & compositing stage, provide feedback and direction to studios.
• Call out and note all Lighting/Compositing/FX issues in the storyboard (prior to animation beginning).
• Attend meetings early in the process (board pitches, animatic reviews, Lighting and FX breakdowns, etc.) to understand the episodeâ€™s direction and requirements.
• Attend meetings with vendor studios to address LRC technical issues and concerns.
• Reports directly to the CG Supervising Producer and can make recommendations about other aspects of the production but ultimately communicates directly with CG SP only.
• Knowledgeable in Nuke compositing methods involving 3d workspace, re-lighting, tracking, and utilizing AOV/Cryptomatte/Deep passes.
• Well-versed in the following software: Nuke, Maya, Redshift, Photoshop, and ShotGrid.
• Knowledgeable in Redshift including render time optimization and setting up AOV/Cryptomatte/Deep renders.