Weekend Anchor / Weekday MMJ
Full Time Job
The weekend anchor and three-day-a-week anchors two 30-minute newscasts on Saturdays and Sundays, including presenting weather. (A producer creates the 5p newscast, the anchor updates that newscast for 11p; however, this anchor must be capable of producing the entire newscast if unusual circumstances require it. The weekend anchor then serves as an MMJ three for three weekdays, perhaps on the early morning shift. This positions requires at least one year experience as an MMJ and anchor.
• Ability to produce newscasts.
• Ability to understand, write and present weather forecasts in a modern broadcast envirnment.
• Ability to arrange, shoot, write, edit news stories for broadcast.
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (Depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!