Senior Data Engineer
NexstarLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Senior Data Engineer will be a critical member of the Publisher Solutions Group responsible for working with multiple teams to create customer and business value from the Company's unique data assets. Reporting to the Head of Data Engineering for Nexstar Digital, the right candidate will work closely with other senior stakeholders including Data, Product, Revenue and Operations, Content, and Business Development. The ideal person will be a highly motivated, passionate leader from a data-driven environment that operates equally as effectively in both independent and team collaboration settings. He/she should have strong business acumen, solid technology experience, and familiarity with the broadcast and/or digital media industry in addition to possessing excellent data engineering and science skills.
The right candidate will collaborate with multiple teams and own responsibility for the technical architecture and hands-on development efforts required to create and execute on an enterprise-wide BI strategy. Working with the data and revenue team, this architecture will establish the capabilities necessary to generate meaningful, actionable insights into user and advertiser behavior across our entire network. He/She will be one of the leads responsible for building and/or integrating the solution(s) for collecting, managing, and analyzing consumer, product, social, market, competitive, and ad data to lead high-impact projects that move our business into the future. It is also a unique opportunity to build a new team and a new set of capabilities for a large broadcast company.
• Architect, develop, integrate, maintain, and / or improve the systems for holistic data sets from internal and external sources
• Generate proper data visualization reports / dashboards to support executive management decision making as well as tactical next steps and KPIs
• As an SME, work with the data and revenue teams, and within the organizational structure, to drive the data architecture and research needs that will empower executive decision making and establish best practices for technologies, tools, and process
• Build on our current analytics capabilities to create a multi-platform, advanced analytics data solution
• Help establish the short- and long-term needs of the data science team, including budget, resource and system requirements, and alliance management strategies required to lead and execute on key projects to solve complex business challenges
• Provide leadership in creating, aligning and executing a data-driven, predictive strategy to optimize customer acquisition, marketing initiatives, content and social programs to help drive our long-term vision and objectives
• Identify new data sources and strategy for staying one step ahead of the competition
• Prepare research, communication materials and presentations for the senior leadership team across Nexstar Digital and the Nexstar Media Group team
• 7+ years in data architecture and analytics, software development, insights creation, and strategic management
• 5+ years leading a team and managing the work of others. Knowledge or prior experience in media/entertainment or with a direct to consumer streaming service a plus
• Bachelor's degree required with a major in Computer and/or Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or Engineering. Advanced degree preferred.
• Demonstrable thought leadership in the technologies that power Business Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Advanced Analytics solutions
• Strong cultural and team leadership skills
• Capable of having strategic conversations at the executive level and tactical, technical discussions across teams
• Creative problem-solver with ability to look beyond existing business and technology limitations to identify the ''next thing''
• In-depth understanding of all stages of customer acquisition, conversion, and lifetime value
• Proven success in the execution/project management of large-scale data mining and insights projects from inception through build and deployment
• Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, and experience developing market-based research solutions
• System knowledge and experience
• Data Modeling and System Analysis
• EMR, Data Bricks, AWS, GCP and Other Data Platforms
• Data Integration tools such as SQL, Spark, Scala, Python, Data Bricks, Airflow and/or R, Machine Learning
• Business Intelligence reporting tools (Microstrategy, Looker, Tableau) a plus
• Digital Marketing tools for instrumentation and analysis, such as Segment, Google Analytics, Pickaxe, Google Ad Manager, STAQ, LiveRamp, BlueConic, and others
• Working knowledge of ad servers, OMS, DMP, DSP and SSP solutions including Google Ad Manager, AdX, Rubicon, WideOrbit, DV360, Amazon, and others
About Nexstar Digital
Nexstar's digital media products and services focus on providing innovative solutions to audiences, clients and any business looking to gain an edge in the shifting digital landscape. Along with Nexstar's dedication to providing local news, entertainment and sports content through its digital platforms, Nexstar Digital's companies provide digital publishing and content management platforms, a video advertising platform, digital agency services and other digital media solutions to publishers and advertisers.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!