Reporter, Multimedia Journalist
Full Time Job
Cover murder in Bakersfield
Kget.com, the digital arm of KGET/NBC and Telemundo/Bakersfield, has a unique opportunity for a special online journalist.
We need a dogged, courageous writer to take over our award-winning murder blog, Homicide Tracker.
Homicide Tracker is dedicated to the principle that the victim of every killing deserves his or her own story. We believe that every one of Kern County's homicides – more than 110 a year – is a compelling human interest story.
We have proved that analyzing trends and faithfully tracking every homicide case adds a context that makes our city a better place.
--- This job takes courage. The person who gets this job will roll out to crime scenes, often at night, often alone, often in bad neighborhoods. This reporter will knock on the doors of murder victims, – and murder suspects – asking for the life stories of the dead.
--- The job takes emotional strength. The person who gets this job will see the worst of humanity. It's a blood-and-guts assignment that can wear a person down. This person will see bodies. This person will weep with widows and orphans.
--- This job takes organization. The person who gets this job will be the curator of the biographies of about a hundred murder victims and a couple dozen murderers every year. This person will maintain maps and spreadsheets and tables of vital statistics.
--- The person who gets this job will be part of our digital team but he or she will be the leading expert on homicide in Kern County. As such, he or she will be a regular feature on our broadcasts, describing his or her findings on Kern's most-watched newscasts. He or she will need to shoot video and audio to support his or her reports.
A couple other things:
• This a job for a multimedia journalist.
• You must be able to shoot and edit video.
• Solid, newspaper-style writing is required.
• Spanish language is very helpful
• The person who gets this job will work irregular hours.
• Homicide will be the principal beat, but other stories may be assigned.
If you're interested, drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the words ''homicide tracker'' in the subject line and please include your resume.
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (Depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!