Platform Engineering Director
NexstarLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
We are looking for a seasoned technical leader with experience in delivering large-scale, performant content management systems within the media industry. The Director of Engineering will be responsible for leading the development and deployment of our WordPress platform that will help shape the broadcast industry now and into the future.
Reporting up to the head of platform engineering, the right candidate will work closely with other senior stakeholders including Product, Revenue, Program Management and Operations, Content, Business Intelligence, and Business Development to drive customer and business value from the Company's unique market position. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, passionate leader with a full-stack technical background skilled at solving complex challenges by bringing together people, technology, strategy, and innovative technical design. He/She should have strong expertise in WordPress and a solid business acumen within the media industry.
We are looking for someone who has expertise in enterprise architecture, digging into requirements, applying the current development best practices, active hands-on coding skills, team management, and the ability to work collaboratively to set multi-year development and program strategies with senior management.
• Work with leadership to build and manage a team of engineers and delivery specialists focused on innovative and data driven WordPress solutions
• Lead the platform development team in supporting and innovating across our publisher platform solutions including web, mobile, video and broadcast systems
• Hands on development, full ownership of code reviews and releases for various components of the platform as well as wordpress
• Seasoned, cross-functional technical leadership with focus on content management and syndication, video solutions, system architecture, UX/CX, full lifecycle SDLC, and digital security, data privacy, and strategies
• Identify new technical strategies and remain active in the WordPress community to stay one step ahead of the competition
• Prepare research, communication materials and presentations for the senior leadership team across Nexstar Digital and the Nexstar Media Group team
• Document and maintain team development standards and best practices
• 10+ years of experience in understanding of all aspects of software engineering, including coding, architecture and design
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Math or related field
• 5+ years of experience managing software development teams
• 5+ years of experience leading complex projects to deliver CMS systems and products from initial concept through final launch on tight deadlines
• 5+ years experience with employee development, performance management and delivering results within schedule and budget constraints
• Strong cultural and team leadership skills, experience with Agile
• Capable of having strategic conversations at the executive level and technical discussions across teams to ensure a proper vision and our ability to execute remain in lock step
• Creative problem-solver with ability to look beyond existing business and technology limitations to identify the ''next thing''
• Understanding of all stages of customer acquisition, conversion, and lifetime value
• Past experience in the media and broadcasting industry highly desired
• System knowledge and experience
• Content Management Systems including WordPress and other enterprise solutions, e.g. Drupal, CoreMedia, SiteCore, and/or others
• Data Integration tools such as SQL, Spark, Scala, Data Bricks, Airflow, Machine Learning
• Cloud and cloud management platforms including WordPress VIP, AWS, Azure, Google, Mulesoft, TIBCO, and others
• Front-end: Angular 2+, Backbone, Vue.js, Node.js, React, Less, etc.
• Back-end: Python, PHP, Laravel, Django, Express.js, MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, etc.
• DevOps & Automation: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins etc.
• System Awareness
• Video platforms including Anvato, Brightcove, JW Player, and/or others
• Data and Data Visualization tools such as Qlik, Tableau, EMR, Data Bricks, GCP and/or Other Data Platforms
About Nexstar Digital
Nexstar's digital media products and services focus on providing innovative solutions to audiences, clients and any business looking to gain an edge in the shifting digital landscape. Along with Nexstar's dedication to providing local news, entertainment and sports content through its digital platforms, Nexstar Digital's companies provide digital publishing and content management platforms, a video advertising platform, digital agency services and other digital media solutions to publishers and advertisers.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!