Tech Ops VFX Specialist
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Tech Ops VFX Specialist (LA)
About the Role
As a VFX Tech Ops Specialist at Netflix, you will be responsible for providing exceptional support to our growing roster of VFX production users across the globe. We want to empower the production landscape, utilizing never-before-seen streamlined technologies, individually and as a whole, to facilitate the creation of the world's best streaming content. We're looking for a VFX TECH OPS SPECIALIST willing to pioneer the advancement of technology into Netflix productions. This requires extreme flexibility, unending creativity, and a proactive approach to transforming production culture. You will serve as a liaison between Netflix VFX teams and the productions to assist in infusing technology that has been developed in-house or by third parties. This role operates within Tech Ops, which is part of the Netflix Production team.
The Tech Ops VFX Specialist will be an ambassador of Netflix VFX production technology. To be successful in the opportunity, you'll need to have a deep understanding of the overall VFX process, in both the production and vendor environment. You will embody the passion to utilize brand new creative technologies that can transform and elevate teams' experiences. This role will be the main point of contact for technology support for our external VFX Production Partners. The ideal VFX Tech Ops Specialist candidate has production, software, and hardware infrastructure knowledge. You must have a working knowledge of current VFX workflows and software used on productions, such as Aspera, Shotgun, RV, and Filemaker. You will assess technical infrastructure needs for VFX and Virtual Production, partnering closely with internal technical teams (Creative Technology, Studio Network Engineering, A/V) and provide hardware via internal resources. Passion for change and creative thinking is a must.
Production Technology Representative for External VFX:
• Act as the primary technical point of contact for our external production partners to assess needs and provide technical guidance.
• Work within production security guidelines to encourage safe collaboration of Netflix production data.
• Create a feedback loop for production side infrastructure in order to improve VFX software and workflows.
• Build training material: devise creative, unique, and scalable training solutions and support techniques for our production personnel.
• Onboarding VFX production personnel and artists to our VFX ecosystem.
• Single POC for production technology needs: support requests will come in via tickets, emails, and automated alerts.
• As technology develops, operationalize support models and generate run book plans for remote support.
• Work hand-in-hand with NERDS (corporate IT) remote support, Creative Technology, Studio Network Engineering, A/V and DevOps Engineering via support escalation models.
• Facilitate Netflix provided IT equipment procurement (through internal teams) for delivery and redeployment both during and wrap of production.
• Facilitate returns (through internal teams) of Production purchased IT equipment for redeployment or resale.
• Refine all methods of hardware selection and inventory management by partnering with Creative Technology, A/V and Purchasing.
• Partner with productions, Studio Network Engineering, and A/V on assessing and delivering on technical infrastructure needs.
• Working closely with our Hardware deployment team to deploy production office technology (4K review stations, servers, computers, printers, AV, applications, wireless) to our VFX production teams.
• Partner with third-party sources and vendors, when applicable.
General Experience - Required
• 5 -10 years within entertainment production technology including experience with the following:
-VFX toolsets and practices: Filemaker, Shotgun, RV, Aspera, Adobe, Foundry Nuke, and Autodesk Maya.
-VFX server and desktop infrastructure, Linux, macOS, Windows, and Teradici PCoIP.
-Active Directory, DNS, SAML.
-Cloud computing and storage, and various public cloud vendors (AWS, Google, Azure).
-Networking, security, storage concepts for media production.
-Display/monitoring and calibration practices for use in VFX.
• Experienced at clearly articulating and documenting technical processes.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Entertainment Industry Exposure
• Keen understanding of current production, post production, and VFX workflows to streamline communications, status tracking, and data transfers.
• Deep knowledge around how technology is used in the entertainment industry (and how it will be used in the future) along with a robust understanding of production, post production, and VFX infrastructure requirements.
• Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; local and network-based user and group accounts and permissions.
• Understanding of Cloud and SaaS Applications and SSO: G-Suite including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sites, Groups and AWS.
• A knowledge of and the ability to perform basic troubleshooting on Mac OS, Windows 7, 8 & 10, and various applications including Office and Adobe software.
• Solid working knowledge of Mac and Lenovo hardware including laptops & desktops.
• Mobile device support including iPhone, Android, Windows.
Nice to Have
• Ability to customize Shotgun per production use case.
• Finding optimal delivery solutions between productions and the studio.
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal guidance.
• Thrives on technical challenges and takes pride in solving them.
• Strategic thinking in both technology and business.
• Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision; must be a self-motivated self-starter who can initiate ideas.
• Strong ability to dive into the unknown and create clarity amidst chaos.
• Flexible amid an ever-changing and growing environment.
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with over 158 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.