Supervisor, Creative Dubbing
Full Time Job
The International Dubbing team is responsible for sharing those amazing stories to our growing international audience, supervising all aspects of lip-sync dubbing, voiceover, and audio description production.
As a Creative Dubbing Supervisor, your mission is to preserve the original creative intent of our content throughout the many language adaptations that Netflix commissions and distributes. Centered around content localization, a great team environment, and cutting-edge technology, this role is critical to Netflix's ability to provide the best-localized experience to our members. As a Creative Dubbing Supervisor, you will hone your focus on titles from a specific type of content (Series, Films, Animation, etc) and oversee the creative elements of dubbing pertaining to your titles. This role will be primarily focused on content originating out of Japan. The role is based out of our Tokyo office, reporting to our USA office in Hollywood.
The ideal candidate will have a great passion for language, experience with the production of dubs, a deep appreciation of regional cultural differences and nuances, and a high level of intellectual curiosity. The role requires you to develop a relationship with our original content and be able to strategically identify the challenges and complexities localization will face before it begins. Preserving creative intent will be your mission and developing creative approaches to the challenges at hand will be your passion. This is a demanding and fast-moving position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative.
In this role you will:
• Drive creative localization strategy for Netflix original content from Japan
• Analyze content to identify and solve localization challenges
• Research and prepare in-depth dubbing guideline documentation for our localization partners
• Build and leverage strong relationships with dub studios, dubbing directors, and talent around the world to reflect local connection
• Be the primary point of contact for creative localization of a title, driving strong relationships and collaboration with cross-functional partners in content acquisitions, post-production, product creative, business affairs, legal counsel, content planning & analysis, quality control, and regional marketing teams
• Drive high-level conversations with IP holders / showrunners around localization strategy with confidence to make a call to achieve what's best for the business
• Oversee dub recordings as needed, either remotely or in-person, to establish and ensure creative expectations
• Provide dubbing studios with casting notes and approve voice talent choices as necessary
• Conduct script review for top tiered high profile titles and evaluate the quality of translation and translators from a language perspective
• Communicate music & effects needs with mixers
• Accommodate and/or provide risk assessment for any special upstream localization requests
• Provide innovative thinking around scalable solutions and creative/operational workflows for dub asset creation and management, constantly questioning existing systems and looking for a better way
• Effectively communicate project updates cross-functionally
• Make sound independent decisions, and know when to escalate issues
• Be a leading voice of dubbing production within the industry and be appraised of Japan Actors Union trends and activities
• Advocate, understand, communicate, and exemplify the company's values
Do you have what it takes?
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Fluency in both English and Japanese is required
• Minimum 3-5 years prior experience in managing localization and/or creative workflows within the entertainment industry; background in dubbing creation and a passion for languages and translation quality
• Deep understanding of differences and nuances between subtitle and dub translation
• Working knowledge around territorial differences and best practices for dub audio creation
• Highly analytical and able to get to the root cause of a problem; able to creatively figure out a solution or propose changes to existing workflows as required
• Adaptability and resilience to quick changes in priorities, technology, tools, and workflows
• Attention to detail; organization, problem-solving, analytical and multitasking skills
• Creativity and the passion to challenge current industry standards
• Familiarity with the current trends in the local entertainment, especially in Anime industry