Supervisor, Creative Dubbing
Full Time Job
The International Dubbing team is responsible for sharing those amazing stories to our growing international audience, supervising all aspects of lip-sync dubbing, voiceover, and audio description production.
As a creative dubbing supervisor in our Madrid office, your mission is to preserve the original creative intent of our filmmakers throughout the many language adaptations Netflix commissions and distributes. Centered around audio production, a great team environment, and cutting-edge technology, this role is critical to Netflix's ability to provide the best-localized experience to our members. This creative dubbing supervisor role will be aligned by content origin, and will creatively oversee all languages produced on a title. This role is located in Madrid and reports into our office in Amsterdam.
The ideal candidate will have a great passion for language, experience with the production of dubs, a deep appreciation of regional cultural differences, and a high level of intellectual curiosity. The role requires you to develop a relationship with our originals content and be able to strategically identify the challenges and complexities localization will face before it even begins. Preserving creative intent will be your mission and developing creative approaches to the challenges at hand will be your passion. This is a demanding and fast-moving position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative.
In this role you will:
• Drive creative localization strategy for Netflix internationally-produced original content
• Analyze content to identify and solve localization challenges
• Prepare in-depth dubbing guideline documentation for our localization partners
• Build and leverage strong relationships with dub studios, dubbing directors, and talent around the world
• Be the primary point of contact for creative localization of a title, driving strong relationships and collaboration with cross-functional partners in content acquisitions, post-production, product creative, business affairs, legal counsel, content planning & analysis, quality control, and regional marketing teams.
• Potentially working with content creators to balance needs of dubbing audience with nuances of creative vision.
• Provide dubbing studios with casting notes and approve voice talent choices
• Oversee dub recordings as needed-either remotely or in-person-in coordination with the regional dubbing production supervisors to establish and ensure creative expectations.
• Communicate music & effects needs with mixers. Supervise mixing sessions for high profile titles as needed
• Accommodate and/or provide risk assessment for any special upstream localization requests
• Provide innovative thinking around scalable solutions and creative/operational workflows for dub asset creation and management, constantly questioning existing systems and looking for a better way
• Effectively communicate project updates cross-functionally
• Make sound independent decisions, and know when to escalate issues
• Be a leading voice of dubbing production within the industry
• Advocate, understand, communicate, and exemplify the company's values
Do you have what it takes?
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Fluency in English and Castilian Spanish is required, and additional European language fluency is a plus
• Minimum 3-5 years prior experience in managing localization and/or creative workflows within the entertainment industry; background in dubbing creation and a passion for languages and translation quality
• Deep understanding of differences, subtitles, and nuances between subtitle and dub translation
• Working knowledge around territorial differences and best practices for dub audio creation
• Highly analytical and able to get to the root cause of a problem; able to creatively figure out a solution or propose changes to existing workflows as required
• Adaptability and resilience to quick changes in priorities, technology, tools, and workflows
• Attention to detail; organization, problem-solving, analytical and multitasking skills
• Creativity and the passion to challenge current industry standards
• Passion for international and foreign language films/series
• Familiarity with the current trends in the entertainment industry in Spain and EMEA as a whole