Studio Technical Director
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
This was removed by the employer on 12/11/2023 8:33:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Browse the Video Game Category
Search for Studio Technical Director jobs in Los Angeles-CA
Search all Studio Technical Director postings
Full Time Job
We're looking for a Studio Technical Director to take ownership of all technology and engineering efforts of our internal development team as it builds a new next-generation cross-platform mobile game, currently in the concept phase.
This role is an integral part of the studio leadership group, alongside the Studio Director, Creative Director, and Art Director, and its primary responsibility is to assemble and direct a team of world-class engineering talent, to own and oversee the execution of all the studio's broader engineering, architecture, and technology strategies in order to realize the game's vision.
The right candidate will be able to draw from both a depth and breadth of technical expertise to effectively jump-start rapid development in the short term and win conviction in the direction. They will bring the necessary experience and aptitude to scale the team into production, leverage internal and external resources, and deliver consistent excellence in quality and performance. Their proactive communication skills, outreach abilities, and relationship-building will ensure that our studio is properly integrated into the rest of Netflix's Platform technologies.
We're building the foundation for a small but ambitious team of developers who are obsessed with creating memorable games that leave players telling their own stories for years to come. We're looking for a group of key leaders who are aligned with our core values, and who care deeply about the experiences they create as well as the people they make them with – those who bias towards action and are energized by the learning that comes with bold experimentation at an agile pace. As a part of Netflix, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix Game Studio as we seek to entertain our 200 million paid members in an exciting new way.
• Oversee all technical aspects of a project, including managing the creation of technical designs, system architecture, documentation, and development processes, as well as assisting with roadmap planning and ensuring overall technical feasibility
• Hire, grow, and manage an internal team of world-class engineers, create and foster an environment focused on engineering excellence, and set the bar for exceptional development standards
• Direct and lead the team to make technology and architecture decisions for the project that are sustainable, scalable, and performant during its prototype, production, and live ops stages of development
• Partner with their other studio leadership counterparts to ensure the project is continually aligning with its stated product strategy, and when it diverges, take ownership to make the necessary change in course
• Be the champion for strategic alignment with and key partner for integration of Netflix game Platform technologies
• Identify potential external co-development partners, and evaluate their technical acumen and readiness to ensure a smooth partnership with any team we may end up working with
• Effectively act as the final backstop for all engineering-related issues for the studio
• 10 years of experience developing and launching high-fidelity mobile games on Unity and/or Unreal
• Experience supporting a live service game, from development planning to delivery of content and features post-launch
• Experience leading a large engineering team across all tech-focused disciplines, as well as collaborating with other non-engineering leadership on a regular basis
• An intuitive understanding of the ideal player experience, and the ability to empathize with and demonstrate support for players across a wide spectrum of behaviors
• Exceptional communication, cross-discipline collaboration, and leadership skills
• Expertise in backend architecture and familiarity with SDKs and third-party services Is self-motivated and willing to participate in all areas of engineering and product strategy
• Gets excited by learning new skills, dashing to pitch in, even if this means flexing beyond this role's core responsibilities if it can help us win
• Additional experience in:
- All aspects of game development including systems, tools, processes, etc
- Gameplay & UI systems
- Efficient & effective content pipelines, rendering systems
- Game feature logic in different client/server models
- Performance analysis and code optimization across platforms
- Cloud-hosted environments (AWS, GCP)
- Build release management
- Live game continuous deployment at a worldwide scale
- iOS and Android software development
- Cross-platform (mobile/PC) development
- Requirements engineering & technical design documentation
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $240,000 - $1,000,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.