Specialist, Sound Technology - Japan
Full Time Job
The Creative Technologies and Infrastructure Team
Staying up-to-date with the most advanced developments in professional and consumer motion picture and sound technology and practices, evaluating their applicability to our goals, and supporting their implementation: this is our everyday. Our engineers are subject matter experts who offer varied yet overlapping backgrounds in motion picture production, post-production and distribution - image science, editorial, color correction, image capture, encoding, compression, exhibition, facility design, storage, video. We collaborate with the crews as well as our internal production, post-production, distribution, marketing and development teams, advising on technical decisions, setting best practices, detailing and explaining specifications.
Quite often, our team is the link between the product (''Netflix the OTT Service'') and the content (''Netflix the Studio'') on matters of video and audio technology.
You are an expert in the fields of sound recording, editing, mixing and maybe even dubbing/localization. You understand current motion picture sound practices and tools, and how we've arrived at them as technology and creative demands have evolved. You have worked with filmmakers, directors, show-runners, editors, producers, recordists, mixers, sound supervisors, archivists, network or studio executives, and you understand their goals and challenges. You've kept abreast of developing standards and new technologies that are shaping the way soundscapes are created and reproduced for consumers, and have ideas about how to ensure their longevity. You're comfortable interacting with the sound community and are able to easily explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
This region brings unique challenges. The ideal candidate is an expert in producing a fully filled M&E, a production sound expert, an expert in 5.1 production and a technical Atmos evangelist, to support the region as it gears up for the new format.
• 8 years of film and/or television sound experience in a technical capacity, interacting with creatives and operators
• Understanding of a variety of audio workflows and practices across different types of content, from features to unscripted.
• Expert in creating a fully filled M&E
• Willingness to work in or travel frequently to either Japan or Korea, as external conditions permit.
• Knowledge of industry standards and the bodies that ratify them
• Knowledge of audio distribution formats and consumer technology
• Bilingual language skills - English and Japanese or Korean
• Proficiency with production sound recording equipment and workflows on set
• Mastery of Pro Tools and Dolby Atmos
• The communication skills to clearly articulate and document technical concepts and explain how they impact the creative process
• A passion for movies and TV shows