Senior Manager, Mobility and Employment Tax
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
It's an exciting time at Netflix as we continue to expand our business globally. We are revolutionizing the way people watch their favorite shows & movies, and building our own library of original Netflix content for all to enjoy. Visit our culture deck and long-term view to learn more.
As the Mobility and Employment Tax Senior Manager you will be part of our global tax team, influencing and shaping our approach to managing an increasingly distributed workforce around the globe. In this role, you will focus on a broad spectrum of tax issues that impact our employees, from cross-border relocations, business travel, and domestic employment tax issues. We are not only looking for someone highly knowledgeable in tax technical matters, but who can really empathize with employee perspectives and communicate complex tax matters in a simple and effective manner. This role will be based in Los Angeles, and will report to the Director of Mobility and Employment tax.
• Partner cross-functionally to educate stakeholders and employees on the mobility and employment tax impacts of temporary or permanent employee relocations, focusing within the USA, Canada, LATAM, and APAC.
• Help drive our team's inputs to regional and global initiatives around a more distributed workforce, such as remote working or opening new country offices.
• Lead our tax initiatives around employee Business Travel and help design, implement and oversee a scalable tax/payroll compliance approach with a broad range of cross-functional partners
• Coordinate and guide finance and payroll teams regarding the complex operational impacts of compensation reporting and taxation for mobile employees.
• Maintain close working relationships with our global stock option team, helping to manage the complex web of tax compliance matters for mobile employees who hold stock options.
• Learn and adapt quickly as Netflix starts operations in new countries, proactively guiding stakeholders and employees on new mobility and employment tax considerations.
• Manage, guide, and assist our external mobility tax services provider to ensure they create maximum impact for Netflix and our employees.
• Help to lead domestic employment tax matters that arise in our global locations, including compensation and benefit taxation, employment tax audits etc.
• Seek creative solutions that balance risk with optimal outcomes for the business and our employees, while remaining compliant within each country's regulations.
To be successful:
• You will bring 10-12 years of relevant experience to the role. You are very comfortable working in areas of ambiguity and demonstrate excellent judgement in a fast paced environment.
• You have strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to build and grow relationships with people at all levels of the organization. You can bring alignment to a large group of stakeholders, and influence decision making.
• You aren't interested in simply doing what's been done before. You are curious, strategic, and you want to add your own perspective on how we do things to make us even better.
• You are experienced in partnering effectively with the broad range of stakeholders who are impacted by employee mobility including talent mobility, talent acquisition, corporate tax, employment legal, stock admin, and payroll. You can help connect the dots and raise flags as they arise.
• You can analyze and understand complex technical rules, while being able to translate these into practical guidance that is clear and concise to a non-tax person.
• You have a deep understanding of cross-border tax considerations, including tax residency concepts/impacts, Tax Equalization for assignments, complexities around different types of compensation e.g. stock options, relocation benefits etc.
• You are an expert in individual income and employment tax laws in the US at both Federal and State levels, and ideally experience navigating equivalent rules in APAC and LATAM.
• You have experience navigating the complex tax rules that apply to business travelers, and implementing new approaches to help mitigate risks.
• While you might not be an expert in the tax laws of all countries, you are someone who learns quickly and is highly resourceful at seeking out the information that you need to be effective.
• You have a passion for working across markets with a culturally diverse talent set.