Senior Graphics Engineer, Spry Fox
Full Time Job
ABOUT OUR TEAM
Our motto is, ''Make the world a better place''; and we try to do this through the games we make. Invention is part of our DNA at Spry Fox. Whether it's by designing MMOs that encourage the development of friendships and discourage toxicity, or by designing unique puzzle games that promote English language learning; we're always asking ourselves ''How does this game improve your life?''
Spry Fox strives to be a studio that is a pleasure to work for, an important but not dominating part of your life, and recognizes crunch is a negative, counter-productive industry practice - something to be learned from and avoided in the future. We want you to have friends, family, hobbies, and a life outside of work. We want you to love your colleagues and know that they support you 100%. We want you to be proud of what you do and how you do it.
For 10 years, we've been fully remote with Foxes scattered all over the world. To make that work well, we all try to be online and communicative from 10am to 2pm PST to ensure that we have enough overlapping work hours with our team; otherwise, our schedules are flexible and fully under our individual control!
Now that we're a part of Netflix, we can do what we love with more support and without having to worry about how to monetize! We've always been focused on making thoughtful, original games… now more than ever. ''
ABOUT THE JOB
Spry Fox is looking for a Senior Graphics Engineer to help us build an original, non-violent MMO.
As a Senior Graphics Engineer, you will lead our effort to deliver a smooth experience of our stylized, cozy world on mobile and desktop platforms. You'll be hands-on profiling and optimizing materials and scene organization, structuring our project for GPU, CPU, and memory scalability across our target platforms, and exploring rendering techniques to amplify our game's tone (coziness, whimsy, moments of awe). You'll be our go-to person for rendering optimization and bringing out the best in our art team's work. Together with the rest of the engineering team, you'll establish technical constraints, asset standards, and asset pipeline additions needed to deliver a consistent player experience across platforms. You'll work closely with the art team to explore and balance tradeoffs between performance characteristics and our visual target. We're a small team making a big game so you'll have ample opportunity to contribute to any other aspect of the project that sparks your interest.
• You've been responsible for GPU and CPU performance for a 3D title that shipped on low-end devices (e.g. iOS, Android)
• Comfortable doing self-directed investigations to track down potential bottlenecks in our performance and explore opportunities to improve the look of our game.
• Strong communication skills that will help you succeed in a remote team environment.
• Well-developed empathy that helps you connect with your peers across disciplines, relate to our customers, and display mature conflict resolution.
• Strong C++ programming and debugging skills.
NICE TO HAVE
• You've been responsible for performance optimization for a shipped Unreal title.
• An interest in exploring stylized art and developing novel techniques to deliver on our visual target (and beyond).
• Experience with, or interest in, any other part of the many pieces necessary to make an ambitious MMO.
• Experience with graphics debuggers (e.g. RenderDoc, Xcode, PIX, Nsight) to identify bottlenecks.
• You've extended Unreal to achieve project-specific goals.
• Experience with, or interest in, automated performance testing.