Senior Content Accountant - Studio Operations
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Fueled by the broad appeal of the instantaneous enjoyment of unlimited original and licensed movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to 200 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages.
Have you ever wondered how we assess and decide how we account for content in our financial statements? Are you curious and invested in and looking to contribute to automated workflows for Accounting? Do you enjoy reviewing and analyzing large data that are used in critical business decisions? If yes, we are looking for you to join other stunning colleagues in Los Angeles who share a passion to continue to build an expertise in streamed content accounting.
This role provides you the chance to join a team that is committed to transforming and redefining the perception of what entertainment is and how it can be enjoyed through the Netflix service. With continued investment in a slate of content including original productions, content licensing and international expansion, it's a great time for you to join Netflix.
QUALITIES WE'RE LOOKING FOR
• Strong technical accounting knowledge and experience - we'd like you to have 5 years of experience under your belt (some public accounting is preferred) backed by a bachelor's degree in accounting and/or finance; CPA license is preferred.
• Attention to detail love for data - We pride ourselves on producing high quality work, scrutinizing important numbers and formulas for accuracy, and using spreadsheets and system data to reconcile accounts and solve problems and questions; we like our accountants to love Excel pivot tables and be unphased by large data sets.
• Enthusiasm and quick learning - Enthusiasm for designing and building new accounting systems and making improvements to existing systems. Prior work with contract review (revenue, leases, or other complex documents), data entry and analysis, research, and other problem-solving tasks is helpful.
• Curiosity and passion - Our team members ask probing questions, challenge the status quo, make changes to improve processes, and have fun while doing it all; positive attitude and never settling for ''good enough'' are key, along with fitting into our unique company culture.
• Collaborate inclusively - Partner with team members and authentically recognize, understand, and appreciate differences, and connect across these differences by being mutually adaptive.
• Adaptable - You have to be comfortable in an ever-changing eco-system of content, finance and accounting issues and projects.
• Industry experience in a studio environment is a plus, but not essential to the position if you are enthusiastic about the position and capable of learning quickly.
• You embrace and advocate the Netflix culture and our long-term view.
• Based in our Hollywood office, reporting to the senior management team in Content Accounting.
• Part of the team responsible for the financial integrity of the company's content commitments, assets (capitalization), liabilities (payments), and expenses (amortization).
• Preparation and review of monthly accounting entries, reconciliations, CFO metrics, and other ad hoc analysis.
• Management and accounting (in proprietary contract management system) of content license contracts, with focus on license fee uploads and payment term assignments.
- Review content agreements (e.g. for licensed contracts, talent deals, etc.), to interpret the contractual terms and understand the application of our accounting policies.
• Account for owned content and work closely with numerous other Netflix teams to understand the full cost of each produced show.
• Drive process improvements and own projects such as accounting policy review, risk analysis and SOX controls, finance systems design and testing, metrics dashboard and reporting, and more.
• Cross-functional interaction with teams in Los Gatos (GL/financial reporting, IT/finance systems, data science and reporting) and Los Angeles (legal, production finance, creative, content planning and analysis, content operations).
As Netflix continues its content expansion, the accounting complexity is growing. We face new challenges on a daily basis, and we're looking for accountants eager to join us!