Senior 2D Tech Artist / Animator, Games Studio
This was removed by the employer on 2/21/2023 12:14:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the Video Game Category
Search for Senior 2D Tech Artist / Animator, Games Studio jobs in Remote-CA
Search all Senior 2D Tech Artist / Animator, Games Studio postings
Full Time Job
Spry Fox's motto is ''make the world a better place.'' We try to do that through the games we make, whether that's by designing MMOs that encourage the development of friendships and discourage toxicity, or by designing our puzzle game, Alphabear 2, to promote English language learning. We're always asking ourselves ''how does this game improve your life?''
We also strive to be a company that is a pleasure to work for. We hope to be an important but not dominating part of your life. We want you to have friends, family, hobbies, and a life outside of work. We want you to love your colleagues and know that they support you 100%. We want you to be proud of what you do and how you do it.
We make highly original games. Invention is part of our DNA. You'll be working on designs that often don't fit in a comfy genre box.
We're fully remote, and have always (12 years) been fully remote, which means you have the flexibility to work your 40 hours a week from where ever you like, and in whatever configuration you'd like. As long as you have an overlap with your team almost every day, let people know what you're up to, and don't leave the rest of us hanging, almost anything goes.
We currently have Foxes in Europe, South Africa, South America, Canada, and the USA. We have a retreat once a year to come together, bond, discuss the long-term future of projects and the company, and stay up way too late chatting around campfires. We try to be online from 10am to 2pm PST in order to ensure that we have enough overlapping work hours with each other, and otherwise, our schedules are flexible and fully under our individual control! We have lives outside of work. Lots of us have children. Different Foxes enjoy playing music, reading books, storytelling RPGs, and traveling.
Spry Fox recognizes crunch is a negative and counter-productive practice in our industry. We consider more than a couple of weeks of crunch in a year to be a serious failure of management - something to be learned from and avoided in the future. And we have never crunched for more than six continuous weeks in the eleven year history of our studio (a blemish consigned to our distant past, hopefully forever.
Last but not least, we're a part of Netflix now. This means that we can do what we love doing with much more support, and without having to worry about how to monetize our games at all. We're still focused on making thoughtful, original games, more than ever really.
ABOUT THE JOB
We (Spry Fox) are looking for a skilled 2D Technical Artist and Animator to help us bring to life the sequel to our life-sim game, Cozy Grove! Ideally someone who has thoughtful opinions about the life-sim genre and a body of work that showcases advanced technical skills, VFX, and animation with stylized and cozy aesthetics.
• Creating stylized 2D VFX in Unity, working alongside art and design to adhere to stylistic guidance and hit design goals, proactively soliciting and incorporating feedback from both departments
• Ability to create highly polished rigs and dozens of expressive in-game animations with 2D puppets
• Collaborating with engineering and ensuring work meets performance goals
• Work with producers to track tasks, help scope future work, and balance your workload
• Communicating decisions and tradeoffs to the rest of the team
• Implementing art in Unity and following file organization conventions while creating assets
• Assist with improving and updating the asset production pipeline and maintaining documentation
• A portfolio demonstrating strong technical art skills in Unity on 2D games
• Examples of stylized VFX and animation
• Proficient in Unity, Photoshop, and Spine rigging and animation
• Experience working with and/or improving art production pipelines
• Must have at least 1 shipped game
DESIRABLE ADDITIONAL SKILLS
• Familiarity with node based shaders in Unity (Amplify Shader Editor, Shader Graph, or equivalent) to be used in vfx or materials
• Proficiencies with cute, cozy, and stylized isometric illustration
• Experience leading or training artists in related processes
If you are not already, we recommend you familiarize yourself with:
• Google Drive
• Github and\or a Git client such as Fork, Sourcetree, or other version control software
What are we offering?
• 40 hours a week: we treat crunch like the result of serious mistakes that we've made, not a natural and inevitable part of the development process.
• Interesting, original work as part of a small, supportive, and friendly team full of thoughtful people who care about each other and care about our impact on our players' lives.
• Work from home – no commute!
• Great benefits (we're part of Netflix now – big company benefits are pretty nice.)
• The opportunity to work on a game unlike anything that has ever been made before, with, among other things, meaningful goals to improve people's lives and reduce toxicity and loneliness in the world. We take this very seriously.