Product Design Manager, Studio Xd - Production Management
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, reaching over 200 million paid subscribers in more than 190 countries and territories worldwide. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen, all without commercials or commitments.
At the center of every single title that launches on the service is a huge effort across multiple teams to curate and deliver the best representation of that title from the artwork to the synopsis.
The Studio XD team designs a suite of products to improve the operations behind taking a title live, while building the world's deepest catalog of information about tv shows and movies. As part of the Studio XD Design Team you will use the power of design to help the world's largest studio source, manage, produce, and deliver incredible content to members all around the world.
About the Studio XD team
We are the newest and fastest-growing design team at Netflix.
We design the technologies that power how Netflix sources and produces all our content. We are scrappy and entrepreneurial. Each of us has a broad set of product design skills ranging from product thinking to interaction design, user research to visual communication. We work in close collaboration with product, engineering, and consumer insights partners to build groundbreaking innovations for the people inside and outside of our Studio.
The organization is flat, process is minimal, individual responsibility is big, and there is an emphasis on keeping non-productive influences out of the everyday decision process.
About the role
As a product design manager, you will lead a team of stunning designers - each dedicated to leading a unique and challenging part of the studio production management process. You will partner with other design, product, research, and engineering leaders to develop strategy across the product areas and user pain points on your team.
You measure success in terms of both human and business impact. As a leader, you foster excellence through collaboration and encourage an inclusive and open environment which makes space for diverse viewpoints and working styles. You are an excellent advocate, evangelist, and listener - and are comfortable directly engaging stakeholders, customers, users and investors alike.
You have recruited and managed effective product design teams with experience building both consumer and enterprise software. You set a high bar for execution, communication, and the responsibility of your team members. You know how to work cross-functionally with multiple teams, as well as make your ideas and data clear to get everyone on the same page.
You seek and offer candid and constructive feedback, and lean into conflict with curiosity, humility, and a willingness to understand. You have a strong focus on usability and efficiency, and strive to simplify complex problems. With every new release, your team leads the charge in creating more powerful expert users across the studio who can accomplish more than ever before in their everyday work around the world.
• Manage, coach, and enable a team of stunning, senior Product Designers to learn, grow, and do their best work.
• Collaborate with product, data science, business, and engineering partners to lead and develop product and design strategies for existing production management products and new initiatives.
• Work with data science, studio partners, and consumer insights teams to gain a deep understanding of users and their needs.
• Advocate for the user and create a holistic UX vision that inspires the wider Production Management team to push beyond the status quo.
• Bring multiple stakeholders along the journey while you solve their most challenging problems for the business.
• Assess complex workflows and create simple, intuitive, and scalable product experiences that improve our ability to manage global productions.
The Must Haves
• 4 years managing a Design team
• 8 years as a Product Designer
• The ability to form consensus across a broad, fast-moving organization
• A history of mentoring seasoned designers and contributing to the design community
• A deep sense of accountability, fostering a high degree of responsibility within your team
• Understanding of complex workflows designed to scale across diverse, global operations teams
• Experience working in continuous delivery environments where the pace is fast and a focus on execution is critical
• Experience contributing to and consuming component-based design systems
• A strong desire to help a small group of expert users do big things
• Excellent communication skills
• A willingness to fail, learn, and share the experience
• A passion for entertainment, filmmaking, and storytelling