Product Design Manager, Studio Media
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
**this role can be in Los Angeles or Los Gatos**
Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, reaching over 158 million subscribers in more than 190 countries and territories around the world. Our subscribers consume over five billion hours of video a quarter and account for a third of the downstream Internet traffic. Supporting this global brand presents significant product development challenges.
The mission of the Marketing and Promotions XD team is to design innovative technology solutions for all aspects of marketing: including media planning, creative execution, paid media campaign execution and effectiveness measurement, title publicity. This manager will lead both a growing team of user experience designers, as well as lead overall experience strategy across the marketing technology space. This manager will join an XD leadership team who are collectively driving innovative experiences for our internal teams, external partners and vendors, and audience members.
Our marketing team is tasked with making people so passionate about our content that they signup and watch. As a part of this mission, we strive to engage with people all over the world through paid, owned, and earned paid media.
• Paid media - advertising through online (e.g. YouTube), and offline channels (TV, billboards, print).
• Owned media - publishing content through social media channels for fans.
• Earned media - creating organic news cycles through publicity events.
Product Designers in our organization work at the intersection between marketing creatives, technology, operations, and the business. As part of this role, you will be leading a design team building innovative tools.
Although Netflix is an established company, in many ways we still act like a startup. The organization is flat, process is minimal, individual responsibility is big, and there is an emphasis on keeping non-productive influences out of the everyday decision process. We endeavor to stay nimble and make decisions quickly.
About the team
We are the newest and fastest-growing design team at Netflix. There's a lot of work to get done, and we are just getting started - so the reality is we're quite scrappy. Each of us has a broad set of UX skills ranging from product thinking to interaction design, user research to visual communication. We work in close collaboration with Product and Engineering partners to build groundbreaking innovations for the people inside and outside of our team that help Netflix promote our biggest title brands worldwide.
About the role
As a Product Design Manager, you will lead a team of stunning designers - each dedicated to leading a unique and challenging part of the marketing planning, creation of marketing assets, and campaign execution process. You will partner with other design, product, and engineering leaders to develop strategy across the product areas owned by the designers on your team.
You measure success in terms of both human and business impact. As a leader, you foster excellence through collaboration and encourage an inclusive and open environment which makes space for diverse viewpoints and working styles. You are an excellent advocate, evangelist, and listener - and are comfortable directly engaging stakeholders, customers, users and investors alike.
You have recruited and managed effective product design teams with experience building both consumer and enterprise software. You set a high bar for execution, communication, and the responsibility of your team members. You know how to work cross-functionally with multiple teams, as well as make your ideas and data clear to get everyone on the same page.
You seek and offer candid and constructive feedback, and lean into conflict with curiosity, humility, and a willingness to understand. You have a strong focus on usability and efficiency, and strive to simplify complex problems. With every new release, your team leads the charge towards more effective, more impactful services.
The Must Haves:
• 4 years managing a Design team
• 8 years as a Product Designer
• The ability to form consensus across a broad, fast-moving organization
• A history of mentoring strong designers and contributing to the design community
• A deep sense of accountability, fostering a high degree of responsibility within your team
• Understanding of complex workflows designed to scale across diverse, global operations teams
• Experience working in continuous delivery environments where the pace is fast and a focus on execution is critical
• Experience contributing to and consuming component-based design systems
• Excellent communication skills
• A willingness to fail and learn
• A passion for entertainment, filmmaking, and storytelling